Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke the rear leaf spring. As I live in Cozumel Mexico parts are hard to come by. Had the local spring guy manufacture one layer and re installed. Car was 2 inches higher which I thought was great do to all the speed bumps. Tried to drive car and got half a block as the differential was making a chunky rotation sound? Put back up on stands and now the wheels turn and chunk with power but you can not turn the wheels when in neutral? Any input would be greatly appreciated as our local mechanics are mostly side of the road hackers and do not understand. Can it be the angle of the new spring or have I screwed something else?
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
Broke the rear leaf spring. As I live in Cozumel Mexico parts are hard to come by. Had the local spring guy manufacture one layer and re installed. Car was 2 inches higher which I thought was great do to all the speed bumps. Tried to drive car and got half a block as the differential was making a chunky rotation sound? Put back up on stands and now the wheels turn and chunk with power but you can not turn the wheels when in neutral? Any input would be greatly appreciated as our local mechanics are mostly side of the road hackers and do not understand. Can it be the angle of the new spring or have I screwed something else?
Thanks in advance
The half shaft axles need to be pretty much level when car is sitting on the ground. Having the car on jack stands is not a good way to check because the half shaft axles are at too steep of an angle and will bind causing a noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Lethal Tendencies. I've also heard that the original shocks would not allow the half shafts to reach the angle they would bind at but aftermarket shocks can allow more angle and binding. Try putting something between the floor and shock mounts and lower the car just enough that they angle decreases a little and see if the tires will now rotate when in neutral. If that works you may just need to replace the shocks that don't allow as much extension. It's not much but there can definitely be binding with too much of an angle that could be your chunky rotation sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Lethal Tendencies. I've also heard that the original shocks would not allow the half shafts to reach the angle they would bind at but aftermarket shocks can allow more angle and binding. Try putting something between the floor and shock mounts and lower the car just enough that they angle decreases a little and see if the tires will now rotate when in neutral. If that works you may just need to replace the shocks that don't allow as much extension. It's not much but there can definitely be binding with too much of an angle that could be your chunky rotation sound.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts