Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont understand this setup. No crossmember. New engine with trans. Moves up and down. I see pics of the Aluminum beam eventually breaking at rear connection point, after time.
What causes this to move up and down. And how can I limit it.
May move up to 1 inch up and down. Think this is causing my vibrations.
. Is new engine to strong for this.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are the batwing bushings worn out? I understand if car has been raced or beat on a while the batwing bushings can wear out very fast. That can cause looseness you mentioned. If not fixed this can crack the front nose of the rearend. Some replace the batwing bushings with bushings they make out of delrin if they are going to race.Nobody makes these you have to machine these yourself if you want them. Also Vette Brakes & Products sells a brace that goes from the front of housing to frame to help this. You need to weld a ear on fame to bolt front of bar to. There have been some who have beafed up the batwing by welding alum plate on the sides. Hope this helps. Tim

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of Bat wing bushings where they at. Can you post something. Sure alot would like to know. This is quite frequent with this setup I would presume.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
D44.jpg

This is the "bat-wing" it's proper name is differential cover. The bushings are the large round ones at each end that dampen shocks to the frame since it attaches by a bolt between ears coming off of the frame.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Bat Wing Bushings

I can't imagine the bat wing bushings being worn out as mine are now 23 years old and have close to 275,000 miles on them. And they still look perfectly good.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I seriously doubt that they can wear to the point of allowing more than fractions of an inch in movement since the bushings are sandwiched between the ears coming off of the frame. It is so tight that even if they completly cracked and crumbled the pieces would still be caught in there stopping movement. All of this means the cover acts as the rear crossmember. I have seen pics of some that the wings crack and broke on. That would require a new cover.
Is it possible you are getting movement because of a broken motor mount?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like the bolt holes in the Cbeam have become ovalong and that the bolts arent tight. The Cbeam allows small amounts of torsional flex but there should be no up and down movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts