Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to buying a '93 40th Anniversary Ruby Red Corvette.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to check besides paying attention to how easily it starts, taking the car for a test ride, and then looking carefully for damage under and around the car, and in the engine compartment?

Steve

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
1. CARFAX check. 2. Retrieve any codes that are stored in the computer, that will tell you if the car has an intermittent problem. 3. Get a chevy printout on the car from a chevy service department, that will tell you of maintenance history with chevy. 4. Check the RPO codes to see if the car has the options that you want and also to make sure that the car is still equipped the way it was built. 5. Do this pre inspection: http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/prepurchase.htm

·
Registered
799 Posts
Test EVERYTHING multiple times, power windows & power door locks, don't be afraid to put them through their paces. Crawl under the car and look for leaks of all fluids. How many miles are on it? Unbolt the targa top and make sure none of the bolts have been stripped or something stupid. Check the tires if they're wearing unevenly or scuffed on the treads the alignment is off, also check the tires for bubbles from hitting curbs or big potholes. If its an auto, how does it shift? If it's a manual, if the clutch is engaging late there is a good chance it will need replacement. What is the overall condition of the car? Generally people who take the time to keep their cars clean on the outside and inside will take the time to keep their car tip top under the hood and everywhere else. Try to get all the receipts from any maintenance or work done to the car. I personally would NOT waste my money on a CARFAX report in my experience it is a scam!

Good luck keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Disagree about the CARFAX check. It is nice to know if the speedo has been rolled back, whether the car was registered in a rust belt state, has had 500 owners, etc.

·
Registered
477 Posts
optispark distrubutors are an issue with these years. they are only good for 50 -60k. If the car has less than 50k it will need replaced soon. Nearing 100k same thing. Make sure it starts easy and runs good along with what everyone else stated.
Sounds nice, hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Disagree about the CARFAX check. It is nice to know if the speedo has been rolled back, whether the car was registered in a rust belt state, has had 500 owners, etc.
Agreed! If it's been owned by 12 different people over the last 18 years, there's probably a VERY GOOD REASON for that and NOT a "good" reason.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My dad had an 06 truck that was in the shop 5 times, once for over 2 months. 2½ years later I ran the carfax and it came up clean.

While truck shopping I found an 01 truck and decided to run a carfax on it, naturally it came up clean. When I saw the truck in person, the frame had so much rust on it I could have punched a screw driver through it; no doubt it was absolutely in a flood. That is when I lost all faith in carfax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice from all, thank you! The car has 104,000 miles on it, looks good in the pictures, and the owner has told me it does not have any leaks, and really doesn't need anything. The next item that would need to be replaced are the front tires. I have had 4 different Vettes over the last 22 years, but the last 12 months were the first without one, so I am anxious. The advice in the link about not letting emotions get the best of you was very good advice. Oh, the price.... very reasonable I believe at $8900.
Thanks again.
Steve Nix

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd be sure and check the AC/heat. That's a major operation to fix. But if you've owned vettes then you pretty much know what one is suppose to feel like, so just trust your own judgement.

On the price though, if he's asking 89, then offer 75, 7 if you can show him cash. I only gave 76 for my 93 convertible with I think 98k on it and one small hole in the drivers seat....

good luck...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how much $$$$$$$$$$ ?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
At 104k the water pump is either on its last legs or has been replaced, check on that and also check the weep hole under its snout.

Also, the timing chain and sprockets will need to be replaced soon...........

·
Registered
799 Posts
... Oh, the price.... very reasonable I believe at $8900.
Thanks again.
Steve Nix
Eh, I have not KBB-ed it so I may be wrong, but 8900 -- especially in todays market -- seems high. I agree with mat helm, 7000-7500 max. With over 100K on the clock, as slicktop said, components are on their way out. After all, its still a Chevy...

·
Registered
861 Posts
My dad had an 06 truck that was in the shop 5 times, once for over 2 months. 2½ years later I ran the carfax and it came up clean.

While truck shopping I found an 01 truck and decided to run a carfax on it, naturally it came up clean. When I saw the truck in person, the frame had so much rust on it I could have punched a screw driver through it; no doubt it was absolutely in a flood. That is when I lost all faith in carfax.
GOOD POINT(S)!
That falls into the "Put $h1t in, get $h1t out" realm.
Regardless of what CARFAX reports, NOTHING replaces a very thorough hand over hand inspection but I still feel that a CARFAX report is a small price to pay for that "possibility" of uncovering something not being told by PO's.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What dose a carfax cost? I have an account and pay a monthly minimum, but they cost me around $13. We spend around $400 now but we've thought about doing the unlimited deal which is $700 a month, but we mostly use them for customers, not so much for buying. The accident reports rarely tell me anything I don't already know, and as you know, if it's not reported it won't be on the report.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Mat, the last time I purchased a CARFAX it was a 30 day deal, I want to say it was like $30 for the month. There used to be different purchase options to varying degrees. I chose the 30 day option because I was in the market for a car and was checking out multiple cars, all private owners. That was a couple years ago. Haven't priced them since then.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sooooo, curiosity got the best of me! I checked it out. It's now $35 for a SINGLE report and $45 for 5 reports! Guess things changed a bit over a few years.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yeah, the carfax is pricey. As you said their is no substitute for a thorough inspection.

The sad part is the 06 truck was brand new off the lot. Fords 6.0L was...problematic.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah, the carfax is pricey. As you said their is no substitute for a thorough inspection.

The sad part is the 06 truck was brand new off the lot. Fords 6.0L was...problematic.
I should pull the CARFAX on my '08 Limited Expedition to see if any or all of the TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS have been reported. That thing has been so bad, I threatened to burn it in the Parking lot of Ford's HQ's...LOL! Not really, but it's been a nightmarish ordeal. And it's still a piece of $h1t tranny. Last time I was at the dealership (for the tranny), I told the Service Manager that I knew how to fix it, he took the bait and asked me how...I told him that trading it in on a new Chevrolet would remedy the transmission issues. I was the only one laughing...LOL! The only reason I bought the 08 Expy was because I had a '99 Eddie Bauer Expy with 170K miles on it and NEVER had a single issue with the truck, outside of regular maintenance. I have one son (21) in college and another (18) in High School, I've been trying to convince the wife that she NEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS a new Camaro! LOL! I mean we DON'T need the extra space in reality!

·
Registered
799 Posts
haha wow that sucks. Ford was fairly reputable with my dads truck. After the 2 month ordeal they gave him Fords 200K extended power train warranty free. Its weird one of Fords strong point in their trucks was the transmission, their torque shift was from what I've read and heard bullet proof. Its odd to hear yours sucked, but I guess their Expedition is not on the F series platform like the Excursion. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Here's the crazy thing about the tranny. During the first 18K miles, we NEVER felt the thing shift. It was without a doubt the smoothest, best free wheeling tranny I had ever had. Ice. Perfect, just a great ride. Sometime after that 18K though, it turned into a tank. HARD downshifts and shutters during upshifts. It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, it sounds like the rearend is about to be dumped. Shakes the entire truck. I've had the cpu for the tranny reflashed twice, helped for about 3 or 4K miles, then back to the hard shifts. Other than THAT we love the truck. It's just brutal. We have the 100K / 7 year warranty, told my Service man that I'll send it on it's way when I hit 99K miles unless the tranny implodes and they finally have to replace it. They keep telling me that it's "a characteristic" of those tranny's. I called BS but they aren't budging. They won't "go into" the tranny because there hasn't been a code stored indicating a problem. Damn vehicles are smarter than the mechanics these days...SMH.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts