Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my center section this weekend and wasn't in it to much lol. i replace it with with a stock one but i wont something more bullet proof any suggestions other than stay out of it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its a 396 sbc and i think it makes 575 to 600 hp. the case looks like it tried to spread apart didin't break off but when it hit the floor it did. i dont think aluminum was good idea. is their somkind of racing set up that will not be frame off to install i would like to say money is no object but i do like running the #[email protected]! ou of it. sad thing is that was the first run on new motor just got side pipes in friday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i was afraid of that. what makes the new models so better and do you think it can be installed on a c3. i really want to stay irs if possible.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
no it wont work, the C5, C6 are transaxle.. you could talk to Edward at Duntov Motors. maybe he can do something, But usually 500 Hp is about it.and thats specially prepared and still could break on launch.. It was never design for that much power

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mike Dyer at Classic Corvettes (214) 717 8379 in Dallas builds those too. Seems to have a handle on how to make them a little tougher. I think he installs steel caps and does some rework on the case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill call these guys today, thanks do you think the gear ratio might hove caused this alittle 2.72 stock ratio on my 81 would like to get in the 3.55 to 3.70 range but will ask edward what is better thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
He built me one with 3.31 gears, but it wasn t enough with my big cam. so he swapped it to a 3.73.. thats probably what you need too. I ve got a little over 500hp, 383 ci.. ...3.73 is JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i talkes with edward and i think were heading in the right direction now he said he has a cast center that will bolt to my bat wing and with some half shafts and spindels we think that wont be a problem anymore a little pricey but you gota pay to play. he recommends a 3.70 gear. rpm's are gonna be up there with t350.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I figured he would be the one to fix you up..I m gonna have to talk to him about that cast center, thats new,..in case mine ever goes.. I ve got 3.73 gears, but I also converted to a TH700r4..if I stay in 3rd,which is same as your 3rd, 70 mph is around 3000rpm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bear in mind that they do not know how to build a custom diff. They don't set up the posi correctly, fit the caps or have ever installed a custom cap. At the very least have someone do a pattern check before you install it.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Bear in mind that they do not know how to build a custom diff. They don't set up the posi correctly, fit the caps or have ever installed a custom cap. At the very least have someone do a pattern check before you install it.
who are you talkin about? Who doesn t know how to build a Differential.? please clarify.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mike Dyer at Classic Corvettes (214) 717 8379 in Dallas builds those too. Seems to have a handle on how to make them a little tougher. I think he installs steel caps and does some rework on the case.
If you already have a good stock one, give Mike (tracdogg2) a call. He could do a "custom rebuild" and beef it up for you. :thumbsup3:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts