Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to buy these tires for my base c6. The 285/30-19 price is 100 dollars per tire cheaper than the 305/30-19. So my question would be...will I get more grip with the 305's, and would the grip be worth the 100 per tire extra?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That's a huge difference in price. I can see why you're hesitating. The 305 is not the optimum size for the stock rim and the extra grip isn't going to be a lot. However, if you're getting several years out of a set of tires, it may be worth the money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just put these on my car over the weekend in stock sizes. I'm putting out 512rwhp and am very surprised at how well they hookup even in the cooler weather. I went out and beat on them a little bit this weekend and so far it's a great tire and I'm sure it will really hook well after the weather warms up a bit. I say get them! :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
703 Posts
diameter different?

If you go two sizes smaller, the tire diameter is different effectively gearing you a bit lower and changing your speedo reading. These rice husks are different in more than width.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you go two sizes smaller, the tire diameter is different effectively gearing you a bit lower and changing your speedo reading. These rice husks are different in more than width.
I couldn't find the RE-11 in a 285 size listed on Bridgestone's site to compare to the 305. I wonder if it was discontinued?

In the Invos, the 305 was a little less than 2% smaller than the 285. The impact on the speedometer would be about 1 mph error at 55 mph.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Smaller?????

If they are the same aspect ratios, 305s cannot be smaller in diameter than 285s. By definition, they will be larger in section width, tread width and diameter. You may be looking at different aspect ratios. Are they both 30s?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I couldn't find the RE-11 in a 285 size listed on Bridgestone's site to compare to the 305. I wonder if it was discontinued?

In the Invos, the 305 was a little less than 2% smaller than the 285. The impact on the speedometer would be about 1 mph error at 55 mph.
They aren't listed but they do make them. I just got mine over the weekend from Discount Tire. They shipped from Bridgestone in TN in 2 days.

I went with stock sizes because my car is lowered all the way on stock bolts and the 305's would have lowered it slightly more and also created a little more wheel well gap which I didn't want either. Plus mine isn't a drag car so i wan't the stock sizes without the buldge on the stock sized rim for better handling (I know this can be argued). If the car doesn't have tons of power there is no need to go wider anyway with these tires....they hook very well.

·
Registered
703 Posts
NO!

305s will NOT lower your car unless you change aspect ratios. You mentioned initially that both the 285s and the 305s are 30 series. Did you really mean the 285s were 35 series?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine are stock sized at 285/35 and if you look at the diameter the 305/30 is roughly .5" off the original specs of the stock tires.

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
I have the 305's. Firestone did not think they would fit and the regular guy refused to put them on till a supervisor came to work. He tried and they fit ok but you cant put any heavy things in the trunk as with top soil 50 bag. I had the 285 before but the 305 really grip and throw a big roster tail in the rain. Great looking tires from the rear. Looks like a real raceing machine!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts