Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So my new delima is the car seems to be overheating, my coolant temp was steady at 199*, my oil pressure was at 55-60psi at 65mph, but my oil temp was climbing starting out at 210 and climbing all the way to 260-270. I have full oil, and I'm running royal purple for all my fluids. I don't understand what would cause this with good oil pressure and my coolant at 200*, shouldn't the oil temp somewhat coincide with the coolant temp? It usually was pretty close up until now.

Any suggestions where to start?]

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, So my new delima is the car seems to be overheating, my coolant temp was steady at 199*, my oil pressure was at 55-60psi at 65mph, but my oil temp was climbing starting out at 210 and climbing all the way to 260-270. I have full oil, and I'm running royal purple for all my fluids. I don't understand what would cause this with good oil pressure and my coolant at 200*, shouldn't the oil temp somewhat coincide with the coolant temp? It usually was pretty close up until now.

Thanks!
I would start by changing the oil and filter. Start with the simple stuff first :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
my oil temp was climbing starting out at 210
From cold?
I would be checking oil temp gauge / sender unit to determine if is working correctly first.
Without oil cooler ,oil temps generally 15- 20 degrees above coolant temps once stabilised.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts

Thanks!
There is no direct relationship between coolant temperature and oil temperature. Cruising at a light throttle on a level road, they will be similar. But when you increase the throttle opening, oil temperature will quickly rise way above the coolant temperature. Watch your oil temperature when you start climbing any long hill. It will quickly increase with the additional load on the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The filter is only 2 months old, I changed it when I did the oil. Think I need to change it again? that would suck at 12.99 per qt. lol. But it's still better than a blown motor.

The temp on the oil was increasing 1 degree every second literally. I would pull over and shut her down and turn the ignition back on just to get the gauges and I could watch the oil temp drop really quick down to around 230* until i tried to fire her back up, as soon as she started it will climb through the roof again. Another question I have is the coolant was boiling in the overflow tank even though the gauge showed 210*, when the oil was 250+ is that typical? I do not know enough about coolant to know where the boiling point is.

I should add that I have the dash and interior completely torn apart atm as the vacuum diaphragm for the vent died and I needed to switch it out, I've been running around with no dash or center console heh.

I have the center alert console plugged in, the dash cluster, and the hvac controls, but not much else. I highly doubt it, but would anything control the temps? Maybe something I don't have hooked up at the moment? I've been rewiring the harness back to factory as someone destroyed it wiring in the after market radio and alarm system. Thank God I have a login in for alldatapro!! My hero for schematics.

Anyone in the Denver area wanna piece this thing back together for me? Payment could be the login info for alldata, and or use of my 9200 sq. ft facility, I have plasmas, tigs, migs, sandblaster cabinets, lol worth a shot right?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
The filter is only 2 months old, I changed it when I did the oil. Think I need to change it again? that would suck at 12.99 per qt. lol. But it's still better than a blown motor.

The temp on the oil was increasing 1 degree every second literally. I would pull over and shut her down and turn the ignition back on just to get the gauges and I could watch the oil temp drop really quick down to around 230* until i tried to fire her back up, as soon as she started it will climb through the roof again. Another question I have is the coolant was boiling in the overflow tank even though the gauge showed 210*, when the oil was 250+ is that typical? I do not know enough about coolant to know where the boiling point is.

I should add that I have the dash and interior completely torn apart atm as the vacuum diaphragm for the vent died and I needed to switch it out, I've been running around with no dash or center console heh.

I have the center alert console plugged in, the dash cluster, and the hvac controls, but not much else. I highly doubt it, but would anything control the temps? Maybe something I don't have hooked up at the moment? I've been rewiring the harness back to factory as someone destroyed it wiring in the after market radio and alarm system. Thank God I have a login in for alldatapro!! My hero for schematics.

Anyone in the Denver area wanna piece this thing back together for me? Payment could be the login info for alldata, and or use of my 9200 sq. ft facility, I have plasmas, tigs, migs, sandblaster cabinets, lol worth a shot right?
I suggest you check your coolant temperature with a mechanical gauge. Drop the gauge's sender about 6" deep down into your radiator and then compare the readings of the mechanical gauge with your electric gauge on the dash. If you don't have access to a mechanical gauge, you might try a meat thermometer lowered into your radiator. If you have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, the coolant shouldn't boil until it gets up to about 250 degrees. Someone on this forum no doubt knows the exact boiling temperature for a 50/50 mix. What makes you think you need to change your oil filter again? What will that accomplish? Just because oil gets hot, that doesn't mean the filter is no good.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
the coolant was boiling in the overflow tank even though the gauge showed 210
Should have mentioned that up front ; changes everything
I would say you have a overheating problem if that is happening; if you have air/ steam pocket by sensor then it will not read coolant temp correctly.
If water is boiling then most likely the coolant temp was closer to shown oil temp than as indicated on temp gauge
Does the fan run?
Does the radiator cap seal correctly?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Well if you also feel the lack of power you once had before and your throttle reponse delays. It could be your exhuast( Cat. Converters) clogging up your motor.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Should have mentioned that up front ; changes everything
I would say you have a overheating problem if that is happening; if you have air/ steam pocket by sensor then it will not read coolant temp correctly.
If water is boiling then most likely the coolant temp was closer to shown oil temp than as indicated on temp gauge
Does the fan run?
Does the radiator cap seal correctly?
When I first drove my 85, it would boil in the overflow tank after I parked it in the garage. Turned out to be a faulty Rad. cap. $6 cheap fix. Sounds like you are getting air in the cooling system somewhere. Check it out first.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Thanks!
Like a few have stated change oil and filter and run it, see what happens and go from there.:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
change oil and filter and run it,
Engine 101
It is not the oil filter.
Water is boiling in overflow bottle so that means coolant is hotter than normal and oil is not getting the cooling it would normally get from coolant
1. it has blown head gasket
or
2. radiator cap is not sealing
or
3.engine is actually over temp and boiling ( fans not coming on )

For those that don't understand basic mechanics there is a relief valve in the oil system that allows oil past the filter if it is blocked; get dirty oil to engine but better than none at all

·
Registered
328 Posts
I tried Royal Purple and my oil was always hotter than what I thought it should be. Changed it and went back to Mobil1 and it has been fine since. This was the first time i had used Royal Purple and don't think I will go back.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
I tried Royal Purple and my oil was always hotter than what I thought it should be. Changed it and went back to Mobil1 and it has been fine since. This was the first time i had used Royal Purple and don't think I will go back.
You re not the first I ve heard say that,I use Royal Purple in my differentials , but Mobil One in both engines, no high oil temps.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Touch the block near the coolant temp sensor with a thermometer, or laser thermometer, and check it is close to the readings on your gauge.
It won't.
Unless the sensor is in coolant it will read wrong ( low ) and the OP ( where is he???? ) states coolant is boiling over
As previously noted the oil temp probably more closely reflects the temp the engine was actually at

1 - 20 of 22 Posts