Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expert opinions please. I have read several posts on the subject but none really answered my questions. Car is stock and automatic and as everyone knows 180HP. Believed original miles to be 80K. The engine is in good running condition. I want to wait until it needs a rebuild to replace cam and heads but want to increase HP some now. I'd like opinions on how much HP I would gain by installing headers, true dual exhaust (no cat converter and flowmasters), Performance intake and maybe new Carb? Is 40-50HP gain realistic? What can I do with a $1000 "ball park" budget? Recommendations on brands and part numbers that would bolt right on with minimal/no modification would be nice too.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

· Registered
10,507 Posts
The stock intake manifold, carburetor, and heads are just fine as they'll flow up to about 275-300 horsepower worth of air. It's the camshaft that is really holding you back so a simple cam change will go a long way. But keep in mind the high gears will prevent much of a performance gain at low road speeds. For a cam I suggest a Competition Cams 268H as it'll work well for low compression engines. And then to compliment the cam get a set of Flowmasters or something similar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.