Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has given me a trip to a driver’s school for Christmas. Have been looking at Bondurant and Spring Mountain leaning toward Bondurant. Having never been to either, I am left reading and trying to figure out which is best from the web pages. One thing that I do like is at Bondurant while most of the time is spent in the Corvette you also get to drive a formula car, having been a big Formula One follower over the years, getting a chance to drive a formula car would be neat. I have entered a Corvette club track event in PA in April so want to do this before going to that. Would like to hear from people that have been to either school, your experiences and recommendations would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. I went to Spring Mountain in 07 and am going back - ~ June 2010 with some people from the Forums. you could join us if you like :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
As pointed out already, both schools are incredible schools so you can't go wrong. I would like to experience both myself. If I had to pick which to go to first I think I would go with Bondurant.

·
Smokin Vendor
421 Posts
bentzpuryear, it's good to hear your considering a driving school. I hope I can help make your decision to choose Spring Mountain a bit easier.

As you may know, our Corvette School is now the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School. If your not familiar with Ron Fellows he is an icon in Corvette Racing.

Ron has not just lent his name to our school. He is committed to improving an already superb experience. He actually comes out to the track as often as his schedule permits.

Here is an Interview we did last year with Ron (about 3 minutes long).

Ron has made many improvements and has recently made a couple that I think are significant.

First, the skid car is no longer part of the program. In it's place, Ron has developed some special exercises that help teach you car control in a Corvette. After all, that is the type of car you drive.

Second, he has directed the school to turn off Traction Control. Some may be taken aback by this, but Ron believes that the TC interferes with the learning process. Don't get me wrong, TC is a GREAT thing but to really learn car control, you need to "feel" what the car does when it gets out of shape and learn how to address it. I know the first thing I do before heading out on the track is turn off TC. TC is a great thing for the street, but not the track and not in a school where you want to learn car control.

Also, I don't intend to offend anyone, but I believe our instructors are second to none. And being taught by the likes of Ron Fellows certainly doesn't hurt.

We teach the class on our 2.2 mile road course. A real track that combines fast straights with sweeping corners, fast esses, technical turns and elevation changes. Turns 1 and 8 are high speed turns specifically designed to help teach "braking to balance" (AKA trail braking). It's a very exciting track, you will learn something new on every lap.

Our facilities are second to none. In addition to being one of the finest tracks in North America, Spring Mountain is home to the premier motorsports country club, Club Spring Mountain. While a student, you are treated as a member. You have access to our resort-style clubhouse that includes plush seating, locker rooms, fitness center, pool, jacuzzi, business center, wireless internet, 9 plasma TVs with feeds from the track, pool table, poker table, indoor racquet ball court and indoor gun range just to name a few. We also have a massage therapy room with on call therapist. If you plan on bringing family, you won't find a more comfortable and inviting environment.

We are located just 45 minutes from Las Vegas in the town of Pahrump, NV.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Ken

2.2 mile Road Course Video

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Every time I see those photos of Spring Mountain it reminds me of a darn resort! :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hmmm. You guys (Spring Mountain) must be right near Front Sight shooting school. That is suppose to be one of the better shooting schools about. Might almost be worth getting two birds with one stone, so to speak.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies but I have decided to give the Bondurant School a try. What sold it for me was on the fourth day you get into a formula car and being a long time Formula one fan have always wanted a chance to drive one. Also I am really not interested in going to a resort I expect after spending all day in the car I will be tired and just want to kick back and watch TV and I will be by myself. The gun range at Spring Mountain sounds nice but in this day and age trying to take a gun on a plane and a hand gun at that is just not worth the trouble. I got the last seat in the 4 day Grand Prix class starting January 18th.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife has given me a trip to a driver’s school for Christmas. Have been looking at Bondurant and Spring Mountain leaning toward Bondurant. Having never been to either, I am left reading and trying to figure out which is best from the web pages. One thing that I do like is at Bondurant while most of the time is spent in the Corvette you also get to drive a formula car, having been a big Formula One follower over the years, getting a chance to drive a formula car would be neat. I have entered a Corvette club track event in PA in April so want to do this before going to that. Would like to hear from people that have been to either school, your experiences and recommendations would be very helpful.
Ive been to Spring Mountain and it was excellent. Also cheaper than Bounderant.Loads of seat time and they treat you special. Bounderant is excellent but I think Spring Mountain is the way to go. also its 45mins. from Vegas.

Clif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been to Spring Mountain and it was excellent. Also cheaper than Bounderant.Loads of seat time and they treat you special. Bounderant is excellent but I think Spring Mountain is the way to go. also its 45mins. from Vegas.

Clif
Vegas is no draw for me at all only reason I would go there is for the shows and with out my wife would not even do that. Bondurant has discounts now that make the price difference a wash. I like the track layout at Bondurant better and while I am going there to learn how to drive my vette better the chance to drive a formula car is a big pull for me. I would expect both places to treat you special. I go Heli skiing in BC every year for about the same price and they treat you special too. They all have to for this type of cost, that is part of what they are selling. To me it seemed that Spring Mountain is a resort that also has a race track. Bondurant is only about one thing and that is the only thing I am interested in. But to be honest I am justifying what I have already done so until I actually have gone and attended the class I do not really know. Would be nice to go to both and do a comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts