Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all. '91 base model, 70k miles. I just replaced my alternator and belt, no problem doing that, but today after a ride, with the hood open noticed a sporadic/intermittent ticking sound at the front of the motor. Close inspection didn't find anything rotational that was touching anywhere. Headlights open and close normally, although the motors seem to run on for 5 seconds or so after each open/close cycle, but not relevant to this issue.

I moved the belt tensioner in and out of tension with a breaker bar, started it and now the sound hasn't come back...yet. I notice the tensioner idler wheel shakes rapidly while running, more of a nervous "jitter" thing. Moving it back and forth it seems tight, no slop and the mounting points are tight. Is this just a product of long belt span flutter? Is it normal? The belt is within the adjustment marks. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Perhaps someone could take a look at theirs while running and tell me it there is any movement or vibration like action at all? I've never worked on a serpentine system, have no idea what's normal.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think so, was thinking maybe it moved from belt fluctuation. Any idea how to take pressure completely off of it to remove it? Things are pretty tight down there, I'm waiting for a fsm I ordered.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought this Vette, so any issues didn't just happen out of the blue.

Closer inspection looks like the belt is riding too far to the outside, rubbing against the idler pulley shoulder, maybe making it unsteady. Until my fsm arrives, does anyone know of an alignment adjustment to the serpentine system that can be made?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.