Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2002 Z06 and I need to replace the battery. Not sure which brand to get. It has a Interstate in it now. It SUCKS!! Have heard Optima Red Top might be the way to go. Would like to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
battery

Thanks that sounds great, I like that you covered it. The problem I was having is I did not want to look at top term not doing anything. I think I will check with them to see if they have just side trem. I like the fact that the top is red and will go nice with my Z06 red engine covers.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I had 2 optimas and they both died by MY hand
one lasted 7 years ,, the other 5....now I have a duralast AGM
just don't get anything that can leak acid

· Registered
5,591 Posts
optimas were better before they started making them in mexico

again , get an AGM

· Vendor
12 Posts
While the quality of our batteries has always been excellent, the batteries we are producing today are the best we have ever made. Many of the "bad" batteries returned to us under warranty are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. It's primarily a charger technology-related issue and not unique to Optima. In fact, some other AGM brands have dealt with it by simply voiding the warranty on their batteries, if they are found to be deeply-discharged. We didn't do that with our warranty, but we did create a YouTube video, which explains how to recover deeply-discharged batteries (I'm not allowed to post links).

We have enough of these "discharge-only" batteries, that we now sponsor the Chumpcar World Series and supply their teams with these batteries we now call adOptimas. We handed 100 of them just at Road America the other weekend.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I watched he video
I'll post up my results later
I hope it will work.......:drool5:
I have my last optima that I screwed up and left the fog lights on....:loser:
I did charge it when it happened but didn't try either method in the vid
it did have more than 12 volts but would not crank the engine :food-smiley-019:
It's worth a shot
Any way , I liked my optimas , just didn't want to spend $200 ( my first ones were $120 a piece)
While the quality of our batteries has always been excellent, the batteries we are producing today are the best we have ever made. Many of the "bad" batteries returned to us under warranty are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. It's primarily a charger technology-related issue and not unique to Optima. In fact, some other AGM brands have dealt with it by simply voiding the warranty on their batteries, if they are found to be deeply-discharged. We didn't do that with our warranty, but we did create a YouTube video, which explains how to recover deeply-discharged batteries (I'm not allowed to post links).

We have enough of these "discharge-only" batteries, that we now sponsor the Chumpcar World Series and supply their teams with these batteries we now call adOptimas. We handed 100 of them just at Road America the other weekend.

Jim McIlvaine

· Registered
5,591 Posts
well I tried but it's toast
like I said , it was my fault......:soapbox:
I watched he video
I'll post up my results later
I hope it will work.......:drool5:
I have my last optima that I screwed up and left the fog lights on....:loser:
I did charge it when it happened but didn't try either method in the vid
it did have more than 12 volts but would not crank the engine :food-smiley-019:
It's worth a shot
Any way , I liked my optimas , just didn't want to spend $200 ( my first ones were $120 a piece)

· Vendor
12 Posts
Hi Cory, I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been out of the office for several days and I'm just getting caught up with conversations now. We list our Group 75/25 batteries as direct-fit replacements for 2002 Vettes, but those batteries do have top terminals. We do offer a Group 78 RedTop that is side-terminal only, but it is longer and wider than the Group 75/25 and would be considered a custom fitment. You can find all our RedTop battery dimensions here- http://jci_media.s3.amazonaws.com/9613/4583/5078/REDTOP_Full_Specs_Sheet.pdf

FIRE28, we do not currently offer a powersports battery, but I appreciate your feedback and will forward it to the appropriate parties. vettex2, I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to recover your battery, but I do appreciate you giving it a try. Batteries are consumable items and some are too far gone to be recovered, but I'm glad you at least gave it a shot.

Jim McIlvaine
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

· Registered
5,591 Posts
like I said , it was my fault ,not the batteries.......:z1-2:

· Vendor
12 Posts
Hi Cory,

As I mentioned previously, the Group 78 is larger than the 75/25, so if you are able to make it fit, it would be considered a custom fitment. However, because it is larger, it will offer more power than the 75/25, so there wouldn't be any issues with it meeting or exceeding your needs from a performance standpoint.

Jim McIlvaine
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

· Registered
5,591 Posts
what's the big deal about having side and top terminals ?
I did for years w/o any issues......on one of my vettes it was actually an advantage

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.