Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery goes dead if i leave it sitting any length of time. Test light shows drain if you remove the negative cable and put a test light between battery and negative cable

·
Registered
65 Posts
How long do you leave it sitting for? It might sound like a stupid suggestion but check your reading lights on the rearview mirror. On later C5's (i believe starting in 2002) and C6's as well, GM moved the buttons down to the underside of the rearview mirror. The new buttons make it VERY hard to tell if the lights are on or off. I have had this problem with my dads 05 and also saw a C6 at the dealership with the owner really worried about the lights being "stuck" on.
I have a 2000, so I have the switches that don't drive people insane.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
My battery goes dead if i leave it sitting any length of time. Test light shows drain if you remove the negative cable and put a test light between battery and negative cable
Not enough info for me to help you trace the problem, but I will add that once a battery goes dead, it never really holds the same charge ever again. You may want to consider replacing your battery.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To the point of how long a time it sits - if I'm not mistaken the C5 draws a slight amount of power to keep the computers "alive" during shut down.

I've read most that sit awhile use a battery tender.

Personally, I've let mine sit maybe 4 - 7 days between starts and all has been fine.....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Not enough info for me to help you trace the problem, but I will add that once a battery goes dead, it never really holds the same charge ever again. You may want to consider replacing your battery.
Absolutely true! However, some batteries that are not too degraded can be brought back to near full capacity by connecting a trickle charger that has a desulfation mode (Battery MINDer or CTEK). And, it sounds as if you need to connect a trickle charger whenever you park the car, anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance you have an Ipod interface installed? These are notorius for draining batteries when parked for a period of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts