Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 with a new battery, alternator puts out 14 volts.
Disconnect the ground cable and put the multi meter in between and I have a draw of about 3 amps. I have pulled all of the fuses one at a time and disconnected (unplugged) all of the wires that I could find that could be hot when the key is off and all other switches are off and the draw remains the same.
How much loss or draw is normal? This runs the battery down in just a few days.
I have read through the posts of others that have had the same or similiar issue but have not found a post that said what the final solution was. I am sure there could be more than one solution but would think that I have tried all of the easy stuff and now need help as to what others have found the hard way. I have a battery disconnect wired in so I am able to drive the car but I would like to get this problem diagnosed. I imagine that it is not good for the ECM to be powered down by disconnecting the battery all of the time and I really want to have the car so that it functions properly.
Thanks for your help.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been working around this problem for over a year now, focused on it the last few days.
I posted the problem earlier today and think that I stumbled onto the cause tonight.
Looks like it was the horn relay. I had disconnected the horns but the horn relay was apparently stuck on, even when the battery disconnected it stayed on. Hopefully that was the problem, I will repost if I still have trouble.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
good one
if the relay was stuck , why didn't the horn blow ?

· Registered
2,849 Posts
I have pulled all of the fuses one at a time and disconnected (unplugged) all of the wires that I could find that could be hot when the key is off and the draw remains the same.
There are many supplies that are hot full time or not run through the fuse box.
The early style headlight motors not engaging a worn limit switch and continuing to draw power is a common big current drain

· Registered
5,591 Posts

· Registered
10,507 Posts
I have been working around this problem for over a year now, focused on it the last few days.
I posted the problem earlier today and think that I stumbled onto the cause tonight.
Looks like it was the horn relay. I had disconnected the horns but the horn relay was apparently stuck on, even when the battery disconnected it stayed on. Hopefully that was the problem, I will repost if I still have trouble.

Hey Bob, with the key turned OFF try holding a wrench up to the rear alternator bearing and see if the wrench sticks from magnetism. That would tell you if your alternator's field coil is staying energized.

· Registered
1,292 Posts
There are many supplies that are hot full time or not run through the fuse box.
The early style headlight motors not engaging a worn limit switch and continuing to draw power is a common big current drain
Worked on a Pontiac Fiero that had the same issue. Disconnected all the fuses and still was drawing current, I assume it was a fusible link that fed the headlight motors. What a PITA. :z1-2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.