Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery goes dead after a few days sitting.
I have a new alternator and a new Optima red top battery. We have checked and found no evidence of a parasitic drain. I did find that when I locked the door with the fob the battery was dead the next morning. I am wondering is a locking switch in the car is not turning off after doors are locked. I have nothing hooked up in this car except what came in the car. My vette is a 98 with 83,000 miles. Has anyone had a similar problem or a suggestion to track down the discharge?

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I just poke around with a meter hooked up and start pulling fuses ( and putting them back )
there is going to be some drain , since there are so many electrical circuits
Do you have an amp meter ?

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lethal, I have done that too. I am really tired of doing this. I even went so far as to put the quick connect wiring that comes with the tender on the battery. I don't like the fact that a piece of equipment is getting the best of me, lol.

· Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
Lethal, I have done that too. I am really tired of doing this. I even went so far as to put the quick connect wiring that comes with the tender on the battery. I don't like the fact that a piece of equipment is getting the best of me, lol.
Yes I understand, for me the car was a weekend driver so it didn't bother me leaving it on a tender

· Registered
5,591 Posts
We have checked alll of the fuses and found no drain problems there. Thanks for the suggestion.
not what I meant......
hook up a meter on the battery , pull fuses one by one and see if the reading changes

you are not looking for a blown fuse
you are looking for HOT ones

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that is what has been done. I think my mechanic may have missed the fact that the doors weren't locked when he did his check. I always lock the doors and he didn't do that when he checked it. I don't know how the locks work but I always used the fob when locking the doors. I'm wondering if something in the locking mechanism is sticking on. I am going to have back surgery in the morning and I won't be able to get back to this for several weeks.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I understand the weekend driver part. Mine gets driven about once a month if that much. What pisses me off is that the battery will die in a day or so after being driven. Right now the battery is charged but disconnected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.