Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 vette that has had the crossfire removed and replaced with holly 600cfm, weiand intake, holly heads and hooker headers. My problem is when I put the car into drive, the back of the cars drops down, and when I put the car in reverse it raises up. What can be causing this. The engines idles around 700 rpm and I have my foot on the brake when it does this.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nothing to worry about. It's just the torque of the engine. It should have done the same thing when you had the cross fire in. Your car is made to squat when you take off to get as much traction as possible. Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
yup , they all do it

·
Registered
231 Posts
do you still have the original spring in back. mine did the same, untill i eplaced the spring. it still dose it, not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure if its the original, but I think my rear shocks might be bad because when I push on the back end, it keeps bouncing just a little.

·
Registered
523 Posts
not sure if its the original, but I think my rear shocks might be bad because when I push on the back end, it keeps bouncing just a little.
That pretty well sums it up. Shocks are no good. After you push down, it should come back up just a little past normal, then immediatly settle back to normal ride height. No bouncing at all.

And a little squat is correct- in drive, the pinion in the rear is trying to climb up the ring gear. In reverse, it's trying to go down. Check your front differential bushings too- usually, when they're bad it'll give you a "clunk" when you change gears, but if it's just soft, it may no make any noise.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Check your front differential bushings too- usually, when they're bad it'll give you a "clunk" when you change gears, but if it's just soft, it may no make any noise.
I have that "clunk" alway thought it was the yoke and the drive shaft now I have to investigate the problem before buying parts-

Thank for the tip:thumbsup3:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts