1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Any suggestions.
How much do you love your car and what work can you do yourself?
Most consider it a better deal to buy a manual car by the time you purchase all the parts to do a conversion.
$1000+ for ZF6 + clutch / flywheel

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Might consider custom rebuild on the auto trans.Theres all kinds of internal goodies out there.And auto trans can be made to kick butt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can do the work my self. I'm not sure if the best replacement would be a 4 speed or a 6 speed etc. I would expect to spend $1500 or so. I would be nice not to need a custom drive shaft or differential gears that aren't available. I would expect to modify the brake/clutch peddles. Not sure if I would need a hydraulic throughout bearing. Right now I'm not looking to replace the car. I'm retired and enjoy working/customizing it. I guess I should say that the primary reason I'm thinking about a manual transmission is that the exhaust doen't "rack" down when I let off the gas. It just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I can do the work my self. I would expect to spend $1500 or so.
Bolt in swap for mech minded person but really need donor car for all the small pieces
Anything other than a C4 trans would a custom mount for the C beam
There is a complete( flywheel to shifter ) ZF6 setup on CF now for $1200 .
You also need all the ZF6 hydralics , a ZF6 /T400 driveshaft yoke and manual pedal setup .Driveshaft doesn't change.
If you have the optional 3.07 auto gears you won't get any use out of 6th gear ; if you have the std 2.59 rear then you would need to change.
ZF6 cars came with 3.45 / 3.54 rear
Also need new console plate , helps if you can get the tunnel section around shifter from a ZF6 car to graft in

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it. A good site is where you get the answers - even if you are directed to a competitor. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the options if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got it. A good site is where you get the answers - even if you are directed to a competitor. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the options if anyone is interested.
Just like on the movie "Miracle on 34th st" Where Macy's sent customers to their competitor if they didn't have what the customer wanted. It is a good thing to do and that's the way it should be so that the member gets his question answered.

Now I would like to hear what info you have compiled on this subject at hand.:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your vette has a Dana 36 rear axle if it is now 700R-4. Manual trans vettes come with the Dana 44 axles. Depending on your driving habits and performance changes you could pop the rear end with a manual trans.

This conversion would wind up costing a 3-5 thousand before you complete it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The dude that owned my car before me had his 4+3 swapped out for a ZF six-speed, that was 60% of my justification for buying that particular car. I cant tell you about how to do it or any suggestions because transmissions are not my strong point, but I can tell you it is absolutely worth it. I drove the 4+3 while test driving a car and it was-in my opinion and on this specific car-extremely sloppy. I found the gears clunky and crunchy and hard to find, but his may have been toast from the start. Good luck and keep us posted! :patriot:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
This conversion would wind up costing a 3-5 thousand before you complete it.
That is why most recommend selling a auto and buying a manual if that is what you really want.You add very little value to your car ( except to you ) for the outlay and there is no return on the parts removed

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I drove the 4+3 while test driving a car and it was-in my opinion and on this specific car-extremely sloppy. I found the gears clunky and crunchy and hard to find
4+3 used a reliable BW Super T10 with O/d unit behind
BW T10 design has been around since the 50's. No trans with a external linkage will shift as smooth as a internal linkage type like the ZF6 is.
Coupled with 20 years worth of wear in the shifter / linkage / bushes makes for a sloppy shift

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 27 page Word document of information I have found. I would post if I could figure a good way of doing it. Any suggestion?? I'll be glad to e-mail anyone a copy if they'll send me their email.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've built a summary in word . Here's the basics....

ZF6 - Swapping to a ZF6 however from an automatic car is a bit more drastic. Your 15mph takeoff is going to be around 1368 RPM which will cause quite a bog leaving a light, and your 65mph RPM cruise in 5th will be 1631RPM, and in 6th will be 1087RPM which won't be possible rendering 6th gear pretty much useless. So, I went through this little math rant to explain why a T5 swap is a very good replacement for a 700R4, and still a good replacement for a 4+3. However, if your going to swap to a ZF-6 you really need a minimum of a 3.33:1 rear end ratio, where a 3.54 is much more optimal.

T5 - Are T5's strong enough?: For warranty purposes, the T5 is rated at about 300foot lbs of torque. Some people break T5's with stock engines. Other people have years of successful trouble free operation with highly modified motors. Most issues with T5's are third gear. If you use the clutch, and have the shifter stops set properly you should have good luck.

T56 - Why not a T56? A T56 generally speaking will cost more. If you are swapping from an automatic, it might be more reasonable to swap to a T56 since you need to obtain the bell housing/clutch/hydraulics anyway. For 4+3 owners, this can't be justified since the T5 uses most of your original components. Also keep in mind, you can only use T56's from 93-97 F-bodys which are still getting top dollar at the junkyards. Expect to pay about $1500 + pedals. For that money, go ZF6 if your gearing can support it.

What about a ZF6?: A ZF6 is a good transmission, but are becoming even harder to get than the T56. Expect to pay about $1600-2000 for everything from a donor car. If your gearing can support it, go for it.

TKO-500 - What about a TKO kit?: Some retailers sell nice direct bolt in TKO kit's for corvette. As of 10/8/07 average pricing for this kit is $3460. As of 10/19/07 retail price for a TKO-500 is $1895. The 2" left shifter offset is a $349 option. So after that your paying about $1200 for a cbeam adapter, new yoke, VSS decoder, zip ties, floor patch, shifter boot, & wiring pigtail. But the kit DOES work out of the box and requires little to NO fabrication.

This info came from:
http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/zf6/
Corvette Fever Website
Keisler Automotive Engineering website
digitalcorvettes website

1 - 20 of 25 Posts