Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... :secret: .....

How many American Astronauts have owned Corvettes?
Can you name them?

Here's to the Astronauts that have a need for Speed and Adventure. :cheers:
..... :patriot: .....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... :patriot: ...
Alan Shepard, a Navy pilot one of the original "Mercury Seven" owned a '57 when he joined the space program in 1959. Before that, he owned a '53.
Noticed by Chief Engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov, he brought Shepard to Detroit to test-drive pre-production models. After Shepard's first suborbital flight, GM President Ed Cole decided that Shepard should receive a '62 Corvette, with a deluxe Bill Mitchell interior. And later he owned a '67.

Gus Grissom loved racing Shepard. They had identical brand new 1967 427/435 horsepower Corvette Roadsters.
Grissom's wife returned the corvette to Rathmann’s dealership after one and a half years after the Apollo One tragedy. This car passed through various owners and several dealers and finally surfaced in 2007 at the Russo and Steele Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, where it was featured with an incredible display of memorabilia which would be included in the sale of the car. After intense bidding Corvette and all of related memorabilia became part of Arizona collection.

Gordon Cooper owned a Black '67 Corvette.

** THE FAMOUS THREE MATCHING 1969 BLACK and GOLD CORVETTES of ALAN RICHARD GORDON and CHARLES "PETE" CONRAD. The Apollo 12 crew is the only group who decided to drive matching cars. **

Alan Bean a Navy Captain and test pilot owned a '69, one of the three matching Black and Gold Corvettes.
Danny Reed the owner of the corvette now, thinks he has the lone car remaining of three matching black-and-gold beauties specially ordered for the Apollo 12 crew of Bean, Richard Gordon and Charles "Pete" Conrad.

Richard Gordon owned one of the three '69 matching Black and Gold Corvettes.
With a price tag of $6,022.20, the cars were stock 427/390 four-speed coupes, sporting Head Restraints (RPO A82), 4-Season Air Conditioning (RPO C60), Special Wheel Covers (RPO PO2), and the AM/FM Pushbutton Radio (RPO U69).

Charles "Pete" Conrad owned one of the three '69 matching Black and Gold Corvettes.
Through a special General Motors lease program, astronauts were allowed to drive any car for a year for $1. Bean and his Apollo crew ordered matching Corvettes distinguished by the black "wings" and red, white and blue logos on the front fenders reading "LMP" for lunar module pilot. "The initials 'LMP'(for Lunar Module Pilot) appear over the blue in the emblem on Alan Bean's Corvette. On the other two matching AstroVettes, Pete Conrad Jr. had 'CDR' (for Commander) over white, and **** Gordon Jr. had 'CMP' (for Command Module Pilot) over red." The colors also corresponded to that of each man's personal belongings on the mission.
... :patriot: ...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm guessing there were quite a few more too !

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still doing research on it.. I'm just waiting to see if there is enough interest from Corvette owners to post it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
cool shots !!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks guys, here's a few more

Buzz Aldrin July 9, 1969. One week before launch of Apollo 11.

Jim Lovell Apollo 13

Alan Shepard's license plate

More Apollo 12

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a couple more of three matching black-and-gold beauties.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
wonder why the right one looks purple......

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wonder why the right one looks purple......
I would say probably old film, that was 30-40yrs ago. Old color film changes color with age. Also it could be a camera that someone didn't know how to use properly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Jim Lovell early C3 was recently up for sale on eBay. It was a totally original car that needed a lot of attention. It also had all of the documentation. It did not meet the reserve.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Jim Lovell early C3 was recently up for sale on eBay. It was a totally original car that needed a lot of attention. It also had all of the documentation. It did not meet the reserve.
Any photos of the car?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I found some info & description. It doesn't mention the reserve price, or the condition. Pretty cool though. I like the blue interior.

DESCRIPTION
One of the all-time movie Corvette trivia questions concerns the real color of astronaut Jim Lovell’s Corvette. In the movie “Apollo 13”, the famed Apollo 13 astronaut is portrayed by Tom Hanks, who drives a Red coupe. In reality, we know that Lovell’s 1968 ride was finished in Silverstone Silver with a Blue interior, because that same car is now being offered from the Bob McDorman Collection.

An original matching numbers 327/300 hp smallblock automatic, the engine in Mr. Lovell’s Corvette carries the correct build codes and casting numbers, and the car is optioned with air conditioning, power steering and power brakes, deluxe wheel covers and rear luggage rack.

The Lovell Corvette is a wonderful artifact from a fascinating and heroic chapter in American history.

Highlights:

- Previously owned by famed Apollo 13 Astronaut Jim Lovell
- Silverstone Silver
- Blue interior
- Matching number 327/300 HP
- Engine build V0308HO, block 3914678, cast C 2 8
- Automatic transmission
- PO2 hubcaps
- Luggage rack
- Air conditioning
- Power steering
- Power brakes

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gus Grissom was one of the original seven Astronauts and was the second American to enter space in July of 1961. He was the first American to ever enter space twice when he orbited the Earth several times in 1965 1967 in the "Molly Brown" three-man capsule. He would have been the first human to ever enter space three times. However, he, Roger Chaffee, and Edward White were tragically killed in the Apollo One disaster on January 27, 1967. This is his 1967 Red Corvette with a 427 CI, 435 Hp Turbo jet with tri-power engine and a 4-speed manual M-21 transmission. The block serial number is 7102849, the casting number is T0922JE, the intake manifold number is 3894374(high performance), the heads are 3904391 (special high performance), exhaust manifold is 3880827 (L), and 3880828 (R ), carbs are R3660A/R3659A, The distributor is 1111258, and the differential is 3:70 posi traction(G81). Other features include: power steering, power windows, and power brakes.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I got to do a meet and greet with Buzz Aldrin my woman
It was a humbling experience
'Cept he keep talking to her chest....lol
He's a great guy with numerous funny stories that can't come out in print.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Astronauts Corvette

The Astronaut lease program ran from late 1962 or early 63 until 1971. Jim Rathmann (winner of the 1960 Indy 500 and Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer in Melbourne Florida) went to Ed Cole about starting the program. After Mr. Cole found out that Mr. Rathmann was friends with Astronauts Grissom, Cooper and Shepard he became quite the space buff and made the deal happen. The program allowed the astronauts to pick any two new Chevrolets for a dollar per year. At the end of the year they turned them back in an picked two more. From what I have found all but one of the original 7 took part in the program. Evidently Sen. Glenn did not. If you guys want to see a neat old film Google" British Pathe American astronauts" It was done in 1965 and shows the astronauts in Houston in their corvettes. Neat stuff, I have been researching my car for 12 years and think its in the film.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts