Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the hp to the wheels are for a stock (or any) c3s. I have a 79 and i believe they are rated at 225hp.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Just wondering what the hp to the wheels are for a stock (or any) c3s. I have a 79 and i believe they are rated at 225hp.

But at the wheels it's only about 150 hp. But remember the early C3's ('68 thru '74) also had 427" and 454" engines available and they'll literally blow the tires off from a standing start.

A few days ago I did a "stab and go" start with my 454" powered '71 and I laid down about 150 feet of rubber. It smoked the tires ALL the way thru 1st gear and half way thru 2nd.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
yeah, thats about right , 150-160rwhp on a 79, L82 ..disappointing,eh? and Toobroke, what happened to " I m building for gas mileage" ? can t resist the power ,can you? I love the smell of burnt rubber in the morning!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea that is a bit disappointing. It does sound good with the flowmasters on there though (for all thats worth). Thats why im going with the top end kit as soon as im done putting in the 700R4. :woowoo:

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
yeah, thats about right , 150-160rwhp on a 79, L82 ..disappointing,eh? and Toobroke, what happened to " I m building for gas mileage" ? can t resist the power ,can you? I love the smell of burnt rubber in the morning!

Well fish, it's like this. I hadn't done it and so I decided to try it once. Holy crap that thing had power! It damned near blew the rear tires off. What was amazing was how it continued to burn them even after it hit 2nd.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Well fish, it's like this. I hadn't done it and so I decided to try it once. Holy crap that thing had power! It damned near blew the rear tires off. What was amazing was how it continued to burn them even after it hit 2nd.
I know! My stroker will burn my big tires as long as you want it to. I love doing that ****! Gotta be ready for 1-2 shift, it gets sideways in 2nd real easy.probably cause I shift at 6500. Its a real shame that GM toned down the horsepower after 1972..but thankfully, its back up again now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts