Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while the vette was down for an engine swap, we decided to remove most of the dash ( the majority didnt work anyway, and we ended up running new auto meter gauges for tach,oil,water,electrical.) now the new motor is in and running, but the alternator will not charge-even a known good one isnt charging. so, did i 'interrupt the circuit' or something by unplugging most of the dash ? the wires are all still back there, just capped off. no circuit board or gauges, but worst comes to worst i guess i could buy more of them hah hah....these are the things that keep me up at night....thanks for any/all help guys. :stupid:

· Registered
10,507 Posts
while the vette was down for an engine swap, we decided to remove most of the dash ( the majority didnt work anyway, and we ended up running new auto meter gauges for tach,oil,water,electrical.) now the new motor is in and running, but the alternator will not charge-even a known good one isnt charging. so, did i 'interrupt the circuit' or something by unplugging most of the dash ? the wires are all still back there, just capped off. no circuit board or gauges, but worst comes to worst i guess i could buy more of them hah hah....these are the things that keep me up at night....thanks for any/all help guys. :stupid:

E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll walk you thru the troubleshooting process.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, still cant figure out what it is, im guessing that when i unplugged the stock dash/printed circuit board/gauges that i created an 'open circuit', no idea which one so i guess im going to have to buy all new stuff ( since my old stuff was deemed " just more junk taking up room" by the wife and was thrown out....) dang it, i was hoping someone had the easy "oh yeah, i did that too ! just connect the red with white stripe wire to the green with a jumper and it will work" fix, but looks like its gonna have to be the hard,expensive way....again.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you considered a one-wire type alternator?
yes, but only as an absolute last resort as that wont fix the problem just bypass it....and according to numerous sources the 3 wire is the way to go when possible. just ordered a used replacement dash panel ( almost $250.00 plus shipping. OUCH.) hope that does it for me. guess we shall see....:doh:

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced my dash in my 81 with all AutoMeter Pro-Comp gauges.. I had no charging issues
did you use existing wiring ? or same like me unplug all stock stuff tape up and run new wires? i unplugged everything--entire printed circuit board,charge light,volt gauge,temp,etc....its all just kinda hanging out back there taped up so it dont short, i ran all new independant wires for the new autometer gauge set. seems a bit too coincidental to me--everything worked beforehand, immediately after unplugging dash upon next startup, theres no charging.gotta figure this out !

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, got my replacement gauge pack in the mail, so ripped the dash apart again, plugged it all in, an VOILA ! got charging again---i assume from looking at the schemetics in the chiltons ( although it aint the best ) that the "idiot light" for the charging or the gauge being disconected is what the problem was. oh well, least she charges now. so i just gotta find door panels,finish the bodywork, get it painted,change the rear trailing arm bushings ( actually thats the first one on the list ) change the electric fans out, find the correct ratio pulleys,,etc etc etc.....starting to have a serious dislike for this car !

· Registered
5,591 Posts
or a plasma cutter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.