Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1986E with 200+k

Alright heres the problem. Over the winter I replaced the PCV valves with those breather caps and deleted the EGR. With the PCV valve I eliminated anything attached to it but I might have been over zealous in doing so because now there are 2 vacuum lines that lead to nowhere, one coming off the intake plenum and one coming from the vacuum canister (wrong word?) behind the drivers side turn signal and fog light. There are also 2 male wiring harnesses that have nothing to plug into. They went into the module that sat atop the AC compressor, but as I said, I removed that when I removed the PCV valves and EGR because thats where all the hoses went too (or so I thought). My car will run at high RPM's, but when it does, it makes sort of a popping sound from the exhaust. When I take my foot off the gas, it dies. There is also no in between with engine speed, either it sputters out at low RPM's, or I have to rev it up to about 3-3500 I'll guess. (The tach is broke.) I don't want to keep my foot on the gas for fear of breaking or damaging something but I'm positive if I did it would run at those higher RPM's.

At first I thought it might have to do with the new PROM chip I got for the EGR delete. However after taking it out and trying it again I got the same results.

Lastly to throw another variable in, on the drivers side of the intake plenum, right next to the cold start valve, there are small plastic threads coming out of it like something bolted or attached to it, but I have no memory of taking anything off of there.

Any and all guess are welcome, the car is in my neighbors garage because he spends the winter in Florida. He will be back next week so I kinda need to get this done asap. Thank you all for your help! :patriot:

·
Registered
836 Posts
No Start

1986E with 200+k

Alright heres the problem. Over the winter I replaced the PCV valves with those caps and deleted the EGR. With the PCV valve I eliminated anything attached to it but I might have been over zealous in doing so because now there are 2 vacuum lines that lead to nowhere, one coming off the intake plenum and one coming from the vacuum canister (wrong word?) behind the drivers side turn signal and fog light. There are also 2 male wiring harnesses that have nothing to plug into. They went into the module that sat atop the AC compressor, but as I said, I removed that when I removed the PCV valves and EGR because thats where all the hoses went too (or so I thought). My car will run at high RPM's, but when it does, it makes sort of a popping sound from the exhaust. When I take my foot off the gas, it dies. There is also no in between with engine speed, either it sputters out at low RPM's, or I have to rev it up to about 3-3500 I'll guess. (The tach is broke.) I don't want to keep my foot on the gas for fear of breaking or damaging something but I'm positive if I did it would run at those higher RPM's.

At first I thought it might have to do with the new PROM chip I got for the EGR delete. However after taking it out and trying it again I got the same results.

Lastly to throw another variable in, on the drivers side of the intake plenum, right next to the cold start valve, there are small plastic threads coming out of it like something bolted or attached to it, but I have no memory of taking anything off of there.

Any and all guess are welcome, the car is in my neighbors garage because he spends the winter in Florida. He will be back next week so I kinda need to get this done asap. Thank you all for your help! :patriot:
UR ECM Takes it's good ole time to See New Changes ...When U make a Change in UR System

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
May I ask you what you intended to gain by disconnecting this stuff? Eliminating the EGR and PCV valves doesn't increase the engine's horsepower at all. With your PCV valve now disconnected how are you ventilating your crankcase? It must be vented or you will start pushing oil up past your piston rings and your crankshaft seals.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May I ask you what you intended to gain by disconnecting this stuff? Eliminating the EGR and PCV valves doesn't increase the engine's horsepower at all. With your PCV valve now disconnected how are you ventilating your crankcase? It must be vented or you will start pushing oil up past your piston rings and your crankshaft seals.
I'm not here to debate what it will do, I'm here to try to get my car started. If you want to post a thread that says, "What will Seabee 86's EGR and PCV delete really gain for performance", go right ahead, and I will explain why I did what I did.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Honestly it sounds like something I've been having an issue with. Your intake is what's creating the vac. I would get some of those lines connected and see what it does.

I've been having a issue with low vac an on decel it wants to stall-(because the ecm is seeing a lean condition and it throwing more fuel at it, in turn flooding the engine out)

I'd start with those first and see what it does.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking a vacuum leak as well somewhere, I'm going to tinker with it when I get off work. I figure I'll add stuff on that I took off till it runs right, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
those look like the air divert and solenoid to me. They should have a vac line that comes from the air pump, then a line that goes to the cats and another that get connected to the both exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aren't those lines coming off the exhaust manifold for the EGR? I would've thought with the new PROM chip telling the ECM there is no EGR, they would be meaningless.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
go to chevythunder.com. On the first page scroll down and there are some good links to the vac diagrams.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. I think the vacuum hose that goes to the intake manifold is whats killing my car right now. But whats strange is I have no recollection of removing anything from there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A little late to the party... You removed the PCV to install breathers. The PCV gets vaccum from the intake manifold as you know. Did you plug the PCV port on the intake manifold? Look under the fuel rail between #3 & #5 cylinder and you should see the fitting. Hopefully you plugged that off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts