Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started after the car, 1992 LT1, sat for awhile and needed a battery charge before starting. Well it wouldn't start, as a matter of fact it wouldn't even crank. Now, much time later and after numerous checks, tests and sweat I still haven't found the problem. Getting close however. I've found that if I ground the black and yellow wire from the starter enable relay it will start for a second but then die. Don't know what that means but that's what I've got. The ECM has been tested and is supposed to be OK. When I turn the key "on" all other systems work however the SECURITY light doesn't come on. Fuel pressure is fine. If I "pump" the gas peddle rapidly after it fires it will continue to run - poorly - until I stop, then it will die. ??? Frustrated.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think you might have a vats problem. Granted yours is a 92 but on my 86 there are 2 wires-one goes to one goes from-the key tumbler, and they are very skinny and prone to breaking. Those two wires will scan your key to check the resistor pellet and allow the start enable relay to ground. If applicable on a 92, check those wires or simply buy a vats bypass and plug it in.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
I do tend to agree it sounds security related. I'll be honest I don't know anything about how to disable it. Search around for how to disable Vats

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I've been wondering if you could disconnect VATS by unplugging the fuse to it??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have at least two separate problems but then again what do I know. Like I said, if I ground what I believe to be the ground from the starter enable relay it will fire over. I can remove the temp ground and pump the accelerator peddle and it will continue to run, but only if I pump the peddle. I have good fuel pressure and the injectors are firing - noid light. In this model I believe the SER is grounded in the CCM. Can't use a bypass kit. The CCM's been rebuilt and sent back twice to verify it's a good unit. ?????

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't know about your 92, in my 86 the VATS fuse is located behind the info display above the radio. I would find yours and check it, because your start enable relay is not grounded it sounds to me still like a security issue.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
In case you' d like to know, the VATS fuse is located underneath the passenger side dash. You will find the relays there as well(fuel pump, horn and such)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
See top right side "search" forum
Type VATS and you will find some good detailed answers there plus some drawings.
Rgds
Theo

·
Registered
908 Posts
I think it's something else.

If it was VATs the car wouldn't START at all. Nothing would happen.

Do you have any codes (H) ? When it does run, does it run rough?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think it's something else.

If it was VATs the car wouldn't START at all. Nothing would happen.

Do you have any codes (H) ? When it does run, does it run rough?
Negative.
The original poster said he grounded the start enable relay himself. If he were to put the start enable relay back the way it was from the factory nothing would happen because that relay is not grounded. This all points to a VATS issue.

That however is under the assumption I am understanding his dilemma correctly.

Also, no codes are being thrown.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Negative.
The original poster said he grounded the start enable relay himself. If he were to put the start enable relay back the way it was from the factory nothing would happen because that relay is not grounded. This all points to a VATS issue.

That however is under the assumption I am understanding his dilemma correctly.

Also, no codes are being thrown.
:doh: I mis-read some of this thread... It does sound like a security issue. But it also sounds like something simple like an ignition switch or a neutral safety switch.

Is this an Auto or Six speed?

·
Registered
799 Posts
:doh: I mis-read some of this thread... It does sound like a security issue. But it also sounds like something simple like an ignition switch or a neutral safety switch.

Is this an Auto or Six speed?
I do it all the time :food-smiley-019:

I don't know about the transmission, nor do I know how the clutch switch operates. I would imagine that it would disable power to the starter, but if this was the case with the OP's problem, the start enable relay would have ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's an auto. All underdash relays have been replaced. Ignition switch, neutral safety switch have been replaced. ECM has been repaired/rebuilt and I even sent it back (twice) . The tech says it's good. I didn't remove relay just grounded the dark green/with white stripe wire to start. It will stay running, barely/poorly if I keep pumping the peddle rapidly. No codes, checked yesterday. I'd still like somebody else to check the ECM again. Any recommendations? Have checked and cleaned every ground I can find. Does anybody actually know where the fuse for the VATS is on a 92?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Does anybody actually know where the fuse for the VATS is on a 92?
In case you' d like to know, the VATS fuse is located underneath the passenger side dash. You will find the relays there as well(fuel pump, horn and such)
:iagree: What he said.

Do me a favor. Remove the ground wire you installed on the starter enable relay, try to start the car and let me know what happens.

Why did you have to rebuild/replace your ECM so many times?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just use a jumper wire to ground the relay and remove it as soon as it starts. It's not a permanent attachment. Everything appears normal when I turn key to "ON". Dash functions, lights, stereo, windows, all work. Turn key to "start", nothing happens.When I first had the problem I did some research and assumed it was a VATS problem so I found a rebuilder and sent it to them. (ECM). They replaced a capacitor that was bad and sent it back, the car still did not start so I sent it back thinking they missed something, they did a complete test, said it was OK and sent it back........after several calls talking to the tech he assured me there is nothing wrong with ECM.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just use a jumper wire to ground the relay and remove it as soon as it starts. It's not a permanent attachment. Everything appears normal when I turn key to "ON". Dash functions, lights, stereo, windows, all work. Turn key to "start", nothing happens.When I first had the problem I did some research and assumed it was a VATS problem so I found a rebuilder and sent it to them. (ECM). They replaced a capacitor that was bad and sent it back, the car still did not start so I sent it back thinking they missed something, they did a complete test, said it was OK and sent it back........after several calls talking to the tech he assured me there is nothing wrong with ECM.
Okay assuming I am reading this correct, with the start enable relay NOT manually grounded, when you turn the key to try to start the car nothing happens. I will bet anything you have a VATS issue. Check the VATS fuse FIRST, if it is popped I can almost guarantee that the 2 wires going to and from your key tumbler have broken and shorted themselves out on the tumbler. If this is the case, I believe in a 92 you have airbags in the steering wheel; while removing the steering wheel BE CAREFUL WHEN TINKERING WITH THEM!!

I know it may seem like I have tunnel vision right now and am ignoring other possibilities, but what you're describing is word for word what I was fighting. Start enable relay has no ground, turning the key does nothing but everything else works etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts