Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 50 years ago I made a suction/blow gun using an AMFLO blow gun with some modified brass fittings attached. It uses 6 feet of 5/32" hose and a 3/16" X 14" steel tubing pickup tube that extends down into any one gallon antifreeze jug or 5-quart oil jug. I simply filled an old antifreeze jug with solvent, inserted the pick up tube, then produce a high velocity WET mist to clean engine blocks, cylinder heads, or to spray Roundup weed killer.

Several years ago I modified it to pick up a greater volume of solvent and to spray a finer WET mist a longer distance. The 1/8" X 1" NPT brass nipple has a piece of 3/16" steel tubing sweat soldered into it to reduce the hole diameter to .131" to increase the air velocity AND to increase the amount of suction it produces to 23" Hg when it's screwed into the modified 1/8" NPT brass elbow. The outlet is just a short piece of 3/8" steel tubing sweat soldered in place. I added the piece of 3/8" steel tubing to make it more "directional" to achieve a longer distance.

With 120 psi of inlet pressure it'll spray a high velocity WET mist about 12 to 15 feet which makes it ideal for cleaning engine blocks and cylinder heads or spraying Roundup. As solvent is combustible I ONLY use this outdoors and away from open flames to minimize the danger.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good to see
About 5 years ago I used it to bleed my brakes. Starting with an empty master cylinder and calipers I filled my master cylinder with DOT 5 then applied the vacuum to my right rear bleeders. Within a few seconds I had the right rear caliper filled then applied vacuum to the left caliper's bleeders. So it's not only a suction/blow gun it's also a source of 23" Hg of vacuum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts