Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On way home today I stopped at auto parts store to pick up some detailing supplies. While there a guy in front of me had 6 bottles of Sea Foam. Him and the cashier started talking about why he had so many bottles of this stuff. He then started to talk about how every 2 months he runs a bottle of this through his Dodge Viper's gas tank. That this had been proven a good way to keep performance motors running at their peak?

I thought this stuff was for older higher mileage cars?

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I don't know about every couple months, you might want to check with "Powerlabs" here. Or a thread he made discussing using this in his C6.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I use a bottle about once a month. In the C5, it's helps the gas gauge from sticking. I've read posts here where some guys use Seafoam on every other fill up. I haven't had any bad experiences with it so far. :thtoppoints:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sold on that stuff yet, I don't see the point to add additives unless you have a 100,000 miles on your car. Or you have a clogged fuel system.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I've ran it in all my cars once they hit 50K miles; I feel it really does help remove varnish and carbon residues and they always seem to run better afterwards.
I don't think I'd be willing to run it more than once a year though... If you run top tier gas, you really shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Boats and diesels

From what I understand it has been around for a long time. I have used it in diesel and boat fuel systems for years when changing fuel filters. I also use it in lawn equipment. Run some through before winter layup and a little more in the spring for startup. I have never had a problem with lawn equipment starting after sitting for the winter and have seen a difference when using it on old gas and diesel engines and can't see a problem with running it a couple times a year in a newer car. I plan on putting some in my C6 when I take a trip to Tennessee in October.:toilet:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've used it in other cars, and the stuff works great. Not sure if I would run it as frequently as that guy does.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've ran it in all my cars once they hit 50K miles; I feel it really does help remove varnish and carbon residues and they always seem to run better afterwards.
I don't think I'd be willing to run it more than once a year though... If you run top tier gas, you really shouldn't have to.
The one thing I don't understand about this stuff is that you can run it in your motor and in the fuel system. It doesn't seem to specific? You know what I mean? Almost like a "general" product.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I thought you are supposed to put this in,run it for 15 or 20 minutes,then drain the oil???That's what I heard. It goes in the gas tank too??

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the Intake?

A few years back when I used to frequent the Maxima forums, there used to be many threads and writeups about drawing the stuff into the intake using one of the vaccuum lines. Then they would turn the motor off for a few minutes, fire it back up and watch the thing smoke like hell for a minute as it burned off all the buildup and blew it out the exhaust... (Supposedly you could tell it was burning off buildup and not just the seafoam because the smoke would be dark and get almost white in color after a few cleanings)

I have never heard of adding it to the oil before. It doesn't exactly seem like it would be all that good for lubrication, but maybe for a short period mixed with mostly oil it might be ok.

So I have to ask the question. Is there a preferred/best way to use this stuff? Is it really even beneficial with proper maintenence?

·
Registered
271 Posts
A few years back when I used to frequent the Maxima forums, there used to be many threads and writeups about drawing the stuff into the intake using one of the vaccuum lines. Then they would turn the motor off for a few minutes, fire it back up and watch the thing smoke like hell for a minute as it burned off all the buildup and blew it out the exhaust... (Supposedly you could tell it was burning off buildup and not just the seafoam because the smoke would be dark and get almost white in color after a few cleanings)

I have never heard of adding it to the oil before. It doesn't exactly seem like it would be all that good for lubrication, but maybe for a short period mixed with mostly oil it might be ok.

So I have to ask the question. Is there a preferred/best way to use this stuff? Is it really even beneficial with proper maintenence?
Interesting, makes you wonder how people think of this stuff?!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The one thing I don't understand about this stuff is that you can run it in your motor and in the fuel system. It doesn't seem to specific? You know what I mean? Almost like a "general" product.
Its just a solvent, that's all... Nothing magical about it, but it does seem to do what it is advertized to do; loosen carbon deposits...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've used Sea Foam in my work truck for years. I can't say I've used it or even thought about it for my Vette. But if it works this good in my work truck, I'm sure if needed it would do the same job in a Vette motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts