Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a set of dual tires (truck or pickup) one tire will always be slightly bigger (or smaller) in diameter than it's mate. The brain teaser I have for you is which of the two tires will wear out faster? The bigger tire or the smaller tire? And why?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The outside tire due to scuffing in turns
diameter won't make much difference unless they are mis-matched sizes

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, it IS the smaller tire that will wear quicker. Lets take two tires; a 27" tire and a 26-1/2" tire. When the 27" tire rolls it covers a distance of 84.82" with each revolution. But the 26-1/2" tire also covers a distance of 84.82" when it's circumference is only 83.25" which means it actually drags the pavement about 1.57" with each revolution. So little by little the smaller tire will get even smaller.

The solution? Fatguy has the answer; do a knarly burnout

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I stick by my answer

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The solution? Fatguy has the answer; do a knarly burnout

i am going to print, laminate, and frame this.....:banana:[/QUOTE]

make it a screensaver ! :happy0045:

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey Fatguy...hows that new bigblock running?

And did you positively identify the cause of the cam and bearing failures? Was it the intake manifold that had been angle milled? Were you using a standard set of gaskets the first time around?

I have heard angle milling of small block heads is a common practice among engine builders but I have never heard of big block heads being angle milled because the intake valves are already canted toward the incoming air flow.

·
Registered
540 Posts
the new motor is running really good, need to get the car into the exhaust shop for mufflers now. i think the INTAKE was milled to compensate or a set of heads that were flat milled, they get lower/closer together when you mill them so the intake needs to be milled a like amount-now throw that intake on a set of heads that havent been milled, and its actually too small to reach ! ( i wondered why it was a pain getting all the bolts in on the intake ). so, solution was a new in the box intake ( we ended up with the performer RPM this time ) and new gaskets. and new bearings. and rings. and cam and lifters. and....why ? because even if they are REMOTELY suspect, im changing them. i do not want to do this swap yet a third time.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok so to make it even more trivial, You got duals on a tractor trailer. Which scenario is more dangerous, Over and under pressure? Why?

Steve, glad you didn't get injured in your fire. I had the float stick on my rodchester 2 jet and it back fired, it was a flame thrower.

Fish, When ya gonna come up and slay some real fish?

·
Registered
231 Posts
the new motor is running really good, need to get the car into the exhaust shop for mufflers now. i think the INTAKE was milled to compensate or a set of heads that were flat milled, they get lower/closer together when you mill them so the intake needs to be milled a like amount-now throw that intake on a set of heads that havent been milled, and its actually too small to reach ! ( i wondered why it was a pain getting all the bolts in on the intake ). so, solution was a new in the box intake ( we ended up with the performer RPM this time ) and new gaskets. and new bearings. and rings. and cam and lifters. and....why ? because even if they are REMOTELY suspect, im changing them. i do not want to do this swap yet a third time.....
Flat tappet or roller?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Flat tappet or roller?

flat tappet hydraulic, yes i know all the benefits of the roller but just couldnt afford it. by the time you buy all the necessary pieces to support the conversion ( cam, special lifters for non-roller block, special length pushrods,springs,machine work,etc...) it adds another $1000 plus to the already outrageous price tag....if i could afford it i would. but i cant, so i dont. last car built virtually identical to this one went [email protected],and was my daily driver for 4 and a half years before it got sold- cant argue with that....

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Ok so to make it even more trivial, You got duals on a tractor trailer. Which scenario is more dangerous, Over and under pressure? Why?

Steve, glad you didn't get injured in your fire. I had the float stick on my rodchester 2 jet and it back fired, it was a flame thrower.

Fish, When ya gonna come up and slay some real fish?
is that an invitation?...now you do know we have some of the best sport fishing in the country here.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
flat tappet hydraulic, yes i know all the benefits of the roller but just couldnt afford it. by the time you buy all the necessary pieces to support the conversion ( cam, special lifters for non-roller block, special length pushrods,springs,machine work,etc...) it adds another $1000 plus to the already outrageous price tag....if i could afford it i would. but i cant, so i dont. last car built virtually identical to this one went [email protected],and was my daily driver for 4 and a half years before it got sold- cant argue with that....
but a roller sure is sweet.. in my car, LOL!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts