Chevy Corvette Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your starter is fried. As i posted before the starter is set too close to the exhaust manifold. This is a factory design defect as the heat causes the wires to burn. If you have done any engine upgrades will be worse as horsepower means more heat!! Ge a life time guaranteed starter as will happen again esp if you drive alot.
Thanks again, did you use a heat sheild for the starter ??? If so what did you use ??

·
Smokin Vendor
612 Posts
no but that would be a good idea. Not too worried though as got the life time warrenty starter. Its there problem now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have an after market alarm? I had this problem with my car. The after market Alarm was all screwed up. After I put in valet mode I have not had a problem. It was a old Viper Alarm. I'm going to replace it this year.:thumbsup3:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
get a stick and small hammer and then use it to tap the solenoid lightly
old but useful trick that may work a few times
I've done it and had success and then changed the starter

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well here goes.. since mid Dec.2010 I got a red top battery, a new starter, o2 sensor and temp. sensor and been towed 3 times!!! the last time a couple weeks back on a Sunday was towed home, left the car sit a few days, with a clear head (well you know) I checked the forum, and go outside checking connections then checked fuses # 25 good #23 BAD, changed fuse (10amp)then tried to drive it, fuel shut off.. disconnected the neg. from battery for 10-15 min. turned key she fired up DIC was back to normal.. been good since.. (crossing my fingers) I was told I may have ignition switch problem.. we'll see as we go...but for now let's:burnout: enjoy!!:banana:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I cleaned the key and chip well with alchol and q-tip and in the ignition switch but still nothing, that would have been too e-z (LOL) Oz came by and checked battery its good, checked clutch nothing, unable to get to starter to jump for the long tube headers, have to get under to test.... anyone know where the starter relay is located??? like to check before raising the car.. also turn headlites on and try to start the car headlites do not dim
No starter relay it uses a "VATS/TDR" RELAY UNDER PAX FLOOR PANEL.I'm having same problem with my 2003 already replaced starter and the problem got worse. I have tried all the key stuff and a new key. None worked. I just ordered an ignition switch. There are some ground wires under the battery that are corroded which I will address. It seems there are lots of people having these start problems on the C5 and so far I'm finding they are all different causes. Great car but Gees!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts