Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first thread
Bare with me, lol
I have had a problem with car cranking,but no start
I bought a vats by pass(right key code) Still no luck
just looking for other suggestion
my security light come on only when key in door ope,can the system be reset??
Would car crank if there is a clutc safety switch defect
I just started to smell gas fumes when door was shut and locked,very weird

Hope someone can help

Scott

·
Registered
836 Posts

My first thread
Bare with me, lol
I have had a problem with car cranking,but no start
I bought a vats by pass(right key code) Still no luck
just looking for other suggestion
my security light come on only when key in door ope,can the system be reset??
Would car crank if there is a clutc safety switch defect
I just started to smell gas fumes when door was shut and locked,very weird

Hope someone can help

Scott
Need more info ? It Won't turn over if it was the clutch safety switch .....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, it turns over(cranks) thats it
is there a way to disarm security system(wait 10 mins with key on etc,my grand am does that)
What other info
Thanks for taking the time to read/reply

Scott

·
Registered
836 Posts

ok, it turns over(cranks) thats it
is there a way to disarm security system(wait 10 mins with key on etc,my grand am does that)
What other info
Thanks for taking the time to read/reply

Scott
I have a 88 ! To Disarm the security, Just Put The Key in the Door lock & Unlock the door !...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if I do have a spark? or What if I dont?
It brokeen down,waited 2 hours for a tow,it took 1hour to my destination,when I took battery to charge it , it then started and ran for about 5 minutes then died,cranks only now
Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts

It brokeen down,waited 2 hours for a tow,it took 1hour to my destination,when I took battery to charge it , it then started and ran for about 5 minutes then died,cranks only now
Thanks
Do U Have HEI Ignition ? It could be the ignition Module. It's in the distributer & That Will Do it ! That's Wat it sounds like, Their about 50.00 @ Advance !!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
you need 3 thing to make a motor run
air , fuel and spark

does an 88 use a paperclip like my 86 to pull engine codes ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
you insert the clip into the obd plug , I can't remember the terminals names but it's the 2 on the passangers side (top and bottom ) , and the check engine light flashes
you count the flashes and go to the manual.....

serious

·
Registered
836 Posts

you insert the clip into the obd plug , I can't remember the terminals names but it's the 2 on the passangers side (top and bottom ) , and the check engine light flashes
you count the flashes and go to the manual.....

serious
Nope Mine is on the Drivers side & U have to Plug in a Reader .. But Mine never had a Problem, So As Long as it Works Don't fix it ... U'll Have to agree on that !

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks
Are you 100% positive you have a full tank of gas? Use a wooden dowel as a dip stick and visually check.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nope Mine is on the Drivers side & U have to Plug in a Reader .. But Mine never had a Problem, So As Long as it Works Don't fix it ... U'll Have to agree on that !
you betcha !

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
> Vette 2 ...I found Red line ! Just Have to Get More Info !! :thumbsup3:
the container we get it in says redline and NOTHING else
no labels or notices of any kind
and it's in 1 gallon metal containers , like paint-thinner comes in

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What's it called?
our engine builder/sponsor wont tell us.......after looking at the website , I think he puts it in the cans......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel for you

I have had the same problem and it took 6 months to figure it out. I tried the key bypass...no luck. I took the top of the dash off and pulled the Vats module out and found the the connector was broken... replaced that. I also found that the fuse behind the info center was not making good contact...Cleaned fuse holder and put in a new fuse. Everything fine for a little while. Now it would start and then stop and would not restart even if I unhooked the Batt to clear codes. I found out that the TPS was getting bad and sending false info to the computer and then the injectors were shut down. I hope this helps

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think if this was a VATS issue it would be completely dead. He said his car started, ran for 5 minutes, then died. He also said the car cranks over but does not start. When the ECM gets a signal from the VATS module it will ground the start enable relay allowing the starter to crank the engine. If it was a VATS issue the ECM would most likely not get that signal, the start enable relay would not be grounded, and the starter motor would not spin. At least, thats how it works on my 86. There are always exceptions to the rule though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts