Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I have a 92 vette that was running good until about a week ago, then noticed wile running the security light and sys flash,at that time if i shut it off, it would not start back up, but it would after about a half hour or so, now the light and sys flash all the time, and it wont start, had a new pass key made thinking it was the problem but isnt, when i first crank it it starts for a second and dies, if i pump the gas pedal i can keep it running, but if i dont pump it it dies, I get no trouble codes at all, what could be the problem? Im thinking bad theft deterrent relay or ccm? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
HELP! I have a 92 vette that was running good until about a week ago, then noticed wile running the security light and sys flash,at that time if i shut it off, it would not start back up, but it would after about a half hour or so, now the light and sys flash all the time, and it wont start, had a new pass key made thinking it was the problem but isnt, when i first crank it it starts for a second and dies, if i pump the gas pedal i can keep it running, but if i dont pump it it dies, I get no trouble codes at all, what could be the problem? Im thinking bad theft deterrent relay or ccm? Any help would be much appreciated!

If you can pump the gas and it continues to run, that tells me your ignition system is working and it isn't the cause of your engine dying. So that leaves a fuel system problem as the likely cause. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If not, now would be a good time. Then I'd check the fuel pressure and see if it's within specs. Then I'd check the throttle position switch for proper adjustment.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you can pump the gas and it continues to run, that tells me your ignition system is working and it isn't the cause of your engine dying. So that leaves a fuel system problem as the likely cause. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If not, now would be a good time. Then I'd check the fuel pressure and see if it's within specs. Then I'd check the throttle position switch for proper adjustment.
Fuel filter is where I would look at.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Any luck bro?

·
Registered
86 Posts
No luck as of yet, fuel pressure is in spec, im thinking vats system still, i am going to check the ign lock next, did here the 92 vetts had a problem with the wires breaking off from the lock twisting them every time you start the car.
You know I have not heard of that issue, but as you well know anything is possible with these cars and there is always a first time.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
HELP! when i first crank it it starts for a second and dies,
I suspect the injectors are not being fired
If it cranks it is not VATS related as far as seeing the correct resistance in the key and the starter enable relay .VATS controls two items; the starter through the enable relay and the injectors ( the VATS module could be faulty on the injector driver side).

Models equiped with the CCM have many problems only solved by working through the diagnostics in the FSM.
Too involved to work through online

The CCM has to send a signal to the ECM telling it to pulse the injectors ( if the ECM is getting the right signal from the VATS module) The fact that you state "the light and sys flash all the time," indicates the system is seeing a fault somewhere that it is not happy with.When the ECM detects something wrong, it lights Service engine light. When the CCM detects something wrong, it displays SYS.
Nothing showing in the CCM module when you pull the codes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol, I found the same link, guess I don't need to put it up then, you're fast than I sir!:cheers:
Problem SOLVED ! Sorry i didn't get back here in a timely manner, lol, the problem was the vats system and the ECM controls all that, sent the ECM in and had it rebuilt, and she's running great again, (after it was in the shop for more than a year and they could not figure the problem out ! ) took me about a week after getting the car back from the shop to do this and that was back in 2011.Anyway its 2022 and she's still running great !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts