Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a possible problem with my clutch. When I go to shift gears, I have to let the clutch almost all the way out before it engages. I understand you can adjust the clutch, this is my first corvette and I do not know how to adjust it. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks
Skip

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I am seeing a possible problem with my clutch. When I go to shift gears, I have to let the clutch almost all the way out before it engages. I understand you can adjust the clutch, this is my first corvette and I do not know how to adjust it. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks
Skip

It sounds like your clutch disc is getting pretty thin. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Your clutch is controled by a hydralic system that self adjusts. There is no adjustment procedure. Think that your clutch disk is almost worn out.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Thanks
Skip
Hi Skip

Be prepared to get your wallet out. I had to replace the clutch in my 91, there is no adjustment . Its like this, the stock setup has a dual mass flywheel, which cannot be machined. you cannot tell if its cooked or not until you get it apart.In fact,unless the mileage is low, by the time you go to the effort and cost of getting it apart, you'd be wise to replace both clutch plate and fly wheel, and confirm the condition of the rear crank seals. You can try to save a few bucks by going with an aftermarket clutch /flywheel but the transmission will sound like a tin can with stones in it and you need to be careful that you do not induce any vibrations. Mine was done at 135000Kms (80,000mile give or take) and I have seen artilces where others were needed around that mileage. It was expensive but it has been flawless since.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts