Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here sorry if this has been asked a lot of times. I just bought an 88 camaro but the guy i got it from put a 89 vette l98 motor in it. The car warms up like it should but it will warm up to line just below 260. Then the fans kick on and it goes back down to 220 (mid level on the gauge) Then the whole process starts over again will at idol and while running down the highway. I took out the rad and cleaned it flushed the coolant. Not sure what to do next. Or if even the guage is working correctly. I don't hear no boiling of the coolant.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
836 Posts
89 l98

New here sorry if this has been asked a lot of times. I just bought an 88 camaro but the guy i got it from put a 89 vette l98 motor in it. The car warms up like it should but it will warm up to line just below 260. Then the fans kick on and it goes back down to 220 (mid level on the gauge) Then the whole process starts over again will at idol and while running down the highway. I took out the rad and cleaned it flushed the coolant. Not sure what to do next. Or if even the guage is working correctly. I don't hear no boiling of the coolant.
Thanks for any help.
They will run Hot! Butt Not that Hot ! Ck UR Stat ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and use a thermometer to see if the gage is accurate

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Make sure that your temp gauge is correct, and if it is you are running way to hot. Then , since when the fans knock the temp down when running change out the fan switch to one that turns the fan on at 200' and off at 185' and install a 180' t stat to match the fan sw temperatures. You can also just install a manual switch to turn the fans on and off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the help. Can i use a meat thermo? and where can i put it to get a correct temp reading??

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I use an automotive one but any accurate one should work
I'd put it in the rad cap when it's cold and see what happens as it warms.
sounds like a stat but you won't know until you investigate.....

·
Registered
836 Posts
89 l98

Ok thanks for the help. Can i use a meat thermo? and where can i put it to get a correct temp reading??
Yep ! I put in a 160 stat & Reostat Fan Controls ! & Stay under 210 * U have 2 fans ! One in the front & one in the Back !! Set Them @ diff . Temps. Oh! I put in a RSD Rad. Too !

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I put in a 200' switch in my 85 vette and it works perfect. Have never seen over 210" since. Think that the 200' fan switch is really a 210' switch or my gauge is off a little.
When it does hit 210' in heavy, slow traffic, etc the temp goes down to 185 immediately when the fan comes on. T stat is a 180' one.

Every C4 needs a lower temp fan switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located on the L98? I have a friend that is a pretty good mechanic that going to change the thermostat for me tomorrow while im at work. Thanks guys for all your input.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When you first load ANTIFREEZE> Drill 1/8 inch hole in thermo. Run car let it get HOT not to hot. Let it rest Refill and do over like four times. It will loose Pressure lockups and settle to proper temps. I finally figured this out hard way. Now it right.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
When you first load ANTIFREEZE> Drill 1/8 inch hole in thermo. Run car let it get HOT not to hot. Let it rest Refill and do over like four times. It will loose Pressure lockups and settle to proper temps. I finally figured this out hard way. Now it right.
That depends on the t stat, some already come with a pressure balance hole. If there is none then drill a small hole in the surround plate.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I changed the t-stat and it didn't help the running hot situation. I talked to a mechanic, he said the best is to install a switch so i can turn the fans on whenever i want too. Well that guy that swoped the motors has thing wired up that don't match the corvette or camaro wiring diagrams. I think i found the relay for the fans being i traced the fan wires to it. Its next to my battery on the passanger side. I got to looking yesterday and i have the wires with connecters coiled up under my hood for fog lights. I don't have any space for fog lights on the front of my car. I turned the switch on inside the cabin and the led came on thats in the center of it. So i'm guessing i have power for the fog lights. My question is do you guys think i could use that set up to run my fans?? Use the fog light switch and wires to turn my fans on anytime i want to by just plugging the fog light connectors into my fans. Is the amperage of the switch the same and is the wire a good enough gauge to handle the load? Thanks guys for all your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts