Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have been a member for a while and have scoured the boards for an answer to my problem. I have had this vette for 5 years, but it had to sit for a year while I was in Iraq in '03-'04, when I got back, it spun a bearing. I spent the next 6 months replacing the bearings and refurbishing the engine. I got it running, but I have had an issue when I try to stomp on it -it just chokes. The engine works real well as long as I ease it up into the higher RPM's but if I try to open it up fast (not too fast, I'm not trying to kill it), it sounds like it clogs up and no air can get in, it loses all power and sounds all muffled.... I've checked and re-checked all the airways, nothing there, changed the air filter - don't really know what it could be...any suggestions would be awesome. I almost forgot...this only happens AFTER it gets warmed up....when it is at a lower temperature, I can hit it and it revs just fine.
Thanks

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
What year? Does it go into closed loop? Could be O2, could be temp sensor, could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year? Does it go into closed loop? Could be O2, could be temp sensor, could be a lot of things.
It is an '88 - yes, it is getting into closed loop based on the temp (it gets up to around 150 or so before it starts to have the issue). an O2 sensor is definitely an option. would that throw a code?

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
My first thoughts are
Clogged fuel filter or clogged cat

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Hi, I have been a member for a while and have scoured the boards for an answer to my problem. I have had this vette for 5 years, but it had to sit for a year while I was in Iraq in '03-'04, when I got back, it spun a bearing. I spent the next 6 months replacing the bearings and refurbishing the engine. I got it running, but I have had an issue when I try to stomp on it -it just chokes. The engine works real well as long as I ease it up into the higher RPM's but if I try to open it up fast (not too fast, I'm not trying to kill it), it sounds like it clogs up and no air can get in, it loses all power and sounds all muffled.... I've checked and re-checked all the airways, nothing there, changed the air filter - don't really know what it could be...any suggestions would be awesome. I almost forgot...this only happens AFTER it gets warmed up....when it is at a lower temperature, I can hit it and it revs just fine.
Thanks

How many miles on it? Chances are the fuel filter alongside the right frame rail has never been changed so that's a good place to start. Then it should have about 42-43 psi fuel pressure at all times when the engine is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fsm I have for my '88 states fuel psi between 34 and 39 with the exception of fuel psi of 42 to 47 when key is first turned on and injectors are 'energized'.
Sweet guys, I will check the pressure tonight and post the findings. If it's the pressure then I'll start at the filter and work backwards toward the pump. As far as it being a clogged cat, I have put headers and Flowmasters on it ... and if I remember correctly, I think I "forgot" to replace my cat. I'm sure I'll remember the next time I swap all that stuff back out though.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll post the results in the mornin'!

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
The fsm I have for my '88 states fuel psi between 34 and 39 with the exception of fuel psi of 42 to 47 when key is first turned on and injectors are 'energized'.
Are the TPI fuel reg's vac operated? adjustable?

I ask because in all my research and installing my new intake you adjust your fuel pressure with the vac line off to 43.5, then when the vac line is connected it drops down to about 38 or so.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Are the TPI fuel reg's vac operated? adjustable?

I ask because in all my research and installing my new intake you adjust your fuel pressure with the vac line off to 43.5, then when the vac line is connected it drops down to about 38 or so.
Yes, vac operated. The stock ones aren't adjustable. When the car is started the pressure range is 40.5 (think I said 42) to 47, then drops back to the range of 34-39psi. Now that I have a working fuel gauge, it takes my car a little less than 5 or 6 seconds to drop down to 38 psi.

The fsm starts troubleshooting for the regulator if psi is < 40.5 or > 47 when the key is on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts