Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 L98 (stock) even when outdoor temperature is 60 - 65 degrees runs about 185 to 195 deg. When at a long traffic light it crawls up to 220 plus. Never here electric coolant fan kick in. My manual says fan does not operate until 238 deg. Is this normal? Have had coolant on garage floor & resivior empty but radiater full.
could there be a problem with the fan?

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Those temps are about right.
One thing you could do is just check the space between the radiator and condensor. Its a known area for debris to build up. In turn it can cause overheating problems.

When I first had mine and I was in traffic it was not uncommon to see 235-240 as a temp. Since then it never see's more than 220.

·
Registered
836 Posts
85 l98

Ya Ck The That Space ! Like Vette 2 Said. I found a Plastic Bag Wrapped around My Front Fan..... They Scoop Up Everything ! I'm Goin to Put a Screen On Mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my first vette at age 73, not familiar with those temps over 190 unless my coolant was on the ground.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Thanks guys, my first vette at age 73, not familiar with those temps over 190 unless my coolant was on the ground.

If you want to run a lower temperature you'll have to put a larger capacity radiator in it. All three of mine have 4-tube radiators and they seldom exceed 200 degrees even on a 100+ degree day.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
If you want to run a lower temperature you'll have to put a larger capacity radiator in it. All three of mine have 4-tube radiators and they seldom exceed 200 degrees even on a 100+ degree day.
:thumbsup3:
best solution !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd say th temperatures are fine, the disappearing anti freeze, as note may be the water pump. also check the intake manifold gasket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts