Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if their is an aftermarket 9 inch IRS for an 85 with a Dana 36 ???? I need a rear end that will hold up under 600 rwhp ... Please help.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
Just go to a D44. You'll be fine. It's an easy conversion, and a lot cheaper than going solid axel.

Is this a track only car? Run with slicks every time and beat on? If so you should be looking solid axle.

If it's a street/strip car, the D44 will be fine.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
just go to a d44. You'll be fine. It's an easy conversion, and a lot cheaper than going solid axel.

Is this a track only car? Run with slicks every time and beat on? If so you should be looking solid axle.

If it's a street/strip car, the d44 will be fine.
the D44 is a larger, beefier differential than the D36, with a 8.5" ring gear vs a 7.875" ring gear, but the D36 and D44 suspensions are identical and one is no stronger than the other. They both use the same u joints, half shafts, spindles. Etc. Good luck, and...

Race on!!!
Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
All the parts pictured are the same in a D44 and a D36 of the same model year.

RACE ON!!!
Yes. Talk to Gary, Big G he's running 625 RWHP see how he did it.

Depends on how you drive if a D44 will work.

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
No , most do a solid rear (9" / 12 Bolt )conversion.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-...ished-product-solid-axle-conversion-kits.html

http://www.vettesuspension.com/C4_Suspensions.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-...-rear-project-started-woohoo-pics-inside.html

Big Hp and IRS don't mix; to many parts to break especially the outer yokes and halfshafts so upgrading the diff center has little benefit

The question is how much HP did that? This guy is only looking at 600 HP give or take.

Was it on slicks? If so how many launches.

Not saying it can't happen. Just asking under what circumstances.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If I were gonna run 600+ rwhp, I'd not only go with a dana44, I'd find a drive shaft shop and have them make me up some steel half shafts. I'd probably do it if I had 400rwhp with a 6 speed. Plus it can't be that hard to make some steel hubs too.

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts

"was only making about 275 RWHP/370 RWTQ on motor, 400/550 on the bottle".
ZF6
MT ET Streets @ <3000
WOW must have been the tires and launches. That's not a lot of power.

I figure when I rip mine up I'll replace the 1/2 shafts with carbon fiber. I have a really good driveline guy here locally in Clifton NJ. I had him replace my yoke and balance my shaft in this current config.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I figure when I rip mine up I'll replace the 1/2 shafts with carbon fiber.
Many posts on your favorite banned C4 site on how to make C4 rears last ( or not )
Almost universally serious drag racers guys who have spent up big on the upgrades ( CF shafts / cyro treat / custom yokes ) have stated they wished they had put a solid rear in sooner.
Think about one aspect.
1350 uni's live happily in a truck because they only see engine torque and little movement
In a C4 they see 3 time + engine torque ( from gear reduction ) and are subjected to the most torque ( on launch when **** squats ) when uni is at it's most severe angle

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
Many posts on your favorite banned C4 site on how to make C4 rears last ( or not )
Almost universally serious drag racers guys who have spent up big on the upgrades ( CF shafts / cyro treat / custom yokes ) have stated they wished they had put a solid rear in sooner.
Think about one aspect.
1350 uni's live happily in a truck because they only see engine torque and little movement
In a C4 they see 3 time + engine torque ( from gear reduction ) and are subjected to the most torque ( on launch when **** squats ) when uni is at it's most severe angle
Oh yeah, I agree.

However, I am a huge proponent of building to the application. The serious drag racers you mention for the most part aren't on that forum, or this one either. They are running far more than 600 HP and have total setup from chassis to suspension that will punish the rear end. Yeah, the over stepped the capacity of the IRS but that is the difference between the majors and farm league.

There is a huge difference between a drag racer and a guy who goes to the track once in the while. I am the latter, as most people here and there are. Nothing wrong with consumer grade junk, it's basically what I have, but don't have illusions of grandeur about it either.

Serious drag racers are a good portion of my business. I'm talking 16- 160-220 LB injectors running incremental delivery on one 8 Cyl motor running alcohol pushing 3000 HP. You can't even consider an IRS for that kind of stuff.

Many of the things (no offense guys) many people on here simply aren't going to spend the money on to be serious enough to warrant a solid axel conversion. Additionally, they don't drive the car in a manner that requires it. I think that 600 HP on a D44 for a car driven primarily on the street and an occasional track day, is sufficient.

But many of us, like me, just like to live the dream to a much lesser extent. We do it on budget and accept the results in context. We're not dropping $10,000 on a set of heads. We're using basic builds with "off the shelf" stuff perhaps with some modification. We can't do better than 9.9 in many cases because safety regs kick in like lug nuts, cages, diapers, LICENSE etc... We just want to have a good time in a 10-11 second car and it makes us happy.

So the question is...can an IRS support that?

Yeah, I think it can for the most part. Spirted driving on the open highway and melting the tires from time to time on street tires. Yeah, a D44 works.

For constant 8 second passes on sticky tires 100 times a season, no, it won't. But that isn't the demographic of this board. It is my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong, if the OP wanted to be serious he wouldn't be asking the question here. He'd be at Yellowbullet or some other hard core racing site. This is more of a stock/generalist niche'.

I think those other boards have a lot of posers and it's not their demo either. They buy garbage like rev kits because it's the cool thing that week and don't even know WHY they need it. They have never heard the term raised runner with a 60/40 split and a shaft mount means because it's outside their world . Show me how many people on those boards dropped $1500 on a shaft mount rocker system or $5000 for heads BEFORE having them worked on. Do they even know who Jesel is or TD? Ever hear those names mentioned anywhere on those forums? No, because they are not serious for the most part. The entertaining part is they really think they have it nailed with "top of the line" sutff and like I said it's consumer grade junk. (btw, junk is a slang term used for parts, no negative connotation intended when someone talks about their "junk" it's their collection of parts) How many people here will install a $1200 Areomotive or Fuel Labs pump in their car, not many. $400 regulator anyone? (sidebar) Hell, are those brands even talked about? Not last time I was there. I know that and from both an IP/personal perspective I can't sell cheap junk so my product set may be a little out of line here. But I digress....

But they can talk about how much dyno power their car makes and they had to have a solid rear.....when all they area doing is putting together consumer grade junk. It's actually pretty ricer. They use the rear as a means to brag about their "combo" I can hear it now...."I made so much dyno power I needed a solid rear"...idiots.

Many of my friends are serious about their racing and (no offense) a lot of people there have no clue (didn't say all) to what a "real" setup that can take ruthless punishment includes.

There's a saying...if you can't afford to blow it up, you shouldn't be running it at the track.
You want to see what serious people are doing, go look at Yellowbullet.com.

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
One more thing I'd like to point out.

Horsepower doesn't break driveline parts, torque does.

VetteOz touched on it before, just wanted to make it clear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts