Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. I am hoping someone can help me here. I have an 82 with an edelbrock manifold and holly intake. The previous owner took out the crossfire injectors. Any how, up until this morning my car has ran super well, now it is backfiring on acceleration and putting out black soot.

I am guessing on a couple issues, but I want to get some of your inputs on this. Could it be the spark plugs, the distributor or maybe something else that I am not aware of. Can you guys please help?

I have had this car for over 3 years and I have done all the regular maintenance that it needs, it has ran well right up to this morning. The black smoke bothers me as well, as I feel it can be a deeper issue than what I think. Your help is greatly appreciated.... :thumbsup3:

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
if I understand, you ve replaced the Crossfire with an Edelbrock manifold and Holley carb? if its blowing black smoke and popping, its flooding.. either the choke is not releasing or the needle and seat is not shutting off the flow of fuel.. remove the air cleaner cover and hold the choke butterfly open, see if it runs better , if not, look into the bores at idle and see if you see fuel dumping into carb at the top nozzles ..if it is dumping fuel , shut it off, remove the large screw in the top of the bowl, bump the starter to force fuel thru to clear any debris in the needle/seat..reinstall screw..on Holley Carbs , the floats need to be set ,to keep fuel at the bottom of the small sight plug on the fuel bowls, while idling .. .....black smoke is an over- fuel problem, not an ignition problem ,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fishslayer, thanks for the reply. I have removed the air cover and accelerated from the needle. There is no extra fuel going into the bowl as I can see, but will try some of your other options. I will repost in the next few days, thanks again for your input. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Backfiring

Fishslayer, thanks for the reply. I have removed the air cover and accelerated from the needle. There is no extra fuel going into the bowl as I can see, but will try some of your other options. I will repost in the next few days, thanks again for your input. :thumbsup3:

Peter, I need to know something about the backfiring. Does it backfire when you suddenly stomp the gas pedal or does it backfire as your engine is gaining rpm when you're accelerating? If it only backfires when you suddenly stomp your throttle that indicates your accelerator pump isn't working. With your air cleaner off look down into the bores and open the throttle. You should see two streams of raw fuel shoot out of the nozzle that is between the bores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts