Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,
I have enjoyed a '78 25th Anniversary Edition Vette for the last 17 years. I just gave it to my son who is in the military and been back and forth to Afghanistan and Iraq more times than I can count! He deserves it. But, there's an issue I've had with it for the last 3 years that both of us are trying to solve now. I warned him about it. Discovered he's a better mechanic than I, but still a mystery. Here's the mystery: Moved from Wyoming to NC 3 years to retire and to be closer to the grandkids. Just before I moved, was in a hurry, and had the Vette serviced; oil change and filter. When I picked it up, the guy told me that he also topped off the transmission fluid because it was a little low. I always do my own servicing on all my vehicles, but we were moving the next day. Drove it home and parked on the street temporarily. Went and got the UHaul Auto Transport Trailer and drove the Vette onto the trailer. Left the next day to NC. When I got to NC, started up the Vette and backed off the trailer, no problem. After about 2 weeks of moving in decided to take the Vette for a short ride. Backed it out of the drive, drove down the Interstate for about 10 min. and went home but forgot to gas it. Put it in reverse, NO REVERSE. It attempts to move just a bit but won't budge.
Sorry for the long story, problem: When the Vette is cold you can shift into reverse and no problem. If you let the engine warm up for 5 minutes or more, then no more reverse!!! I've drained the transmission fluid thinking the guy back in WY topped it off with the wrong type of trany fluid. Put in a new filter/seal. That didn't fix it. Since my son has it now, he's drained again and inserted a tube and had pumped as much fluid as possible out of it and tried Ford Type F transmission fluid as recommended by a lot of Corvette C3 owners for the auto-transmission. Nothings changed.
Any ideas short of taking it out and taking it apart and rebuilding?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't how many miles on car but sound like trans need service aka rebuild time
Vette has only 62544 miles. I don't think a rebuild is the issue. I think it's something simple. We are going to flush it again and if that doesn't work, we'll take the tranny out and take it apart and then we'll know! LoL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts