Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have happened upon a couple of 79 Vettes. I have read that the heads with suffix 624 are very crack prone, and they are on Vettes of this year.

Please if anybody can enlighten me on this, thank you

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I have happened upon a couple of 79 Vettes. I have read that the heads with suffix 624 are very crack prone, and they are on Vettes of this year.

Please if anybody can enlighten me on this, thank you

As far as I know all of the later C3 heads are prone to cracking because of their thinner "weight saving" castings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know all of the later C3 heads are prone to cracking because of their thinner "weight saving" castings.
Have you had first hand experience with cracked heads in later years? My issue is if the engine has a misfire, could cracked heads be a likely cause? (inductive reasoning)

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Have you had first hand experience with cracked heads in later years? My issue is if the engine has a misfire, could cracked heads be a likely cause? (inductive reasoning)

Only if it's ingesting water thru a crack. If it has a continuous miss one or two of the plugs will be real dark. I suggest you pull all of the plugs out and do a compression test to see if one or two cylinders show really low (or no) compression. If two adjoining cylinders are really low it would indicate a blown head gasket between those two cylinders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts