Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter a 76 Stingray for her 16th birthday. I am looking for any assistance in some things that I need to keep my eye out for ...any suggestions or assistance. I know I need a new paint job and I need to replace the weather striping.

Any suggestions for re-painting?

How difficult is it to replace the the weather striping?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I bought my daughter a 76 Stingray for her 16th birthday. I am looking for any assistance in some things that I need to keep my eye out for ...any suggestions or assistance. I know I need a new paint job and I need to replace the weather striping.

The '76 is not a real "HOT" car since the max HP for that year was about 210 so you are fairly safe from that standpoint. I think the first thing you need to invest in is a chastity belt; not because you don't trust her but because I wouldn't trust all the boys who will be after her assets. The thing that they will want to be driving won't be just her car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I bought my daughter a 76 Stingray for her 16th birthday. I am looking for any assistance in some things that I need to keep my eye out for
QUOTE]

just the steering... dont want to overcorrect, seatbelts, and check the floor pans that the seats are "well gounded"
On other news, NICE CAR!!!

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
76 was a pretty tame car.. engine, transmission are basic chev ..simple to tune, reliable transportation..just do regular maintenence as any other car from that era.. there are some items that are prone to problems...rust in the windshield frame or hinge pillar areas..windows get loose because of age, need adjusting or new part once in awhile.. A/C can be updated to use R134 instead of the obsolete R12..if you run into any issues, we can help..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did change the A/C already. Needs a paint job for sure. 52K original miles and all seems really good all matching numbers. Did have a brake upgrade w/ stainless lines (still have the original items w/ the purchase). Has new stainless exhaust system.

I appreciate all the advise......

any suggestions on a new paint...going back with original color, so i do not have to have everything tore apart to paint.

·
Registered
305 Posts

You asked about the weather striping, Well I tried to do it myself and found out there is more to it than just peeling off the old and glueing on the new. I purchased new rubber from Ecklers and had it installed by a pro at a body shop. Good Luck with your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
a 76 is not a "collectable " year , so I wouldn t be to concerned about matching numbers , etc...... as to paint job, staying in original color will certainly save on cost.. I would not do a single stage paint as it came with.[ Original Laquer is not available anymore]..I would do Base coat/ Clearcoat... the finish is higher gloss and depth. plus it will be far more durable, and fade resistant..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You asked about the weather striping, Well I tried to do it myself and found out there is more to it than just peeling off the old and glueing on the new. I purchased new rubber from Ecklers and had it installed by a pro at a body shop. Good Luck with your new purchase.
Hey thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a 76 is not a "collectable " year , so I wouldn t be to concerned about matching numbers , etc...... as to paint job, staying in original color will certainly save on cost.. I would not do a single stage paint as it came with.[ Original Laquer is not available anymore]..I would do Base coat/ Clearcoat... the finish is higher gloss and depth. plus it will be far more durable, and fade resistant..
Why do you say the 76 Stingray is not a collectible year?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
you can research if you want..you ll find that a 76 , even in pristine condition doesn t bring big bucks.. its not a limited production like an L88 1970 or a transition year like a 1968, [ first shark body] or a 1963 [ only split window coupe]a 1978 Pace Car Edition, a 74 convertible 454, etc.... its a mid transition,[ not different from a 75 or 77] nothing unusual or rare, no high output options..please understand, I m not knocking your car.. its just not one a collector is interested in, thats all.so matching numbers isn t all that inportant.. will, however, make a great car for your daughter, if she likes classic cars.....and before somebody says " but, its the last year of the Sting Ray", its really only the last year the emblem was used..no difference in the car.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I know why you bought her a vette

no back seat

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can research if you want..you ll find that a 76 , even in pristine condition doesn t bring big bucks.. its not a limited production like an L88 1970 or a transition year like a 1968, [ first shark body] or a 1963 [ only split window coupe]a 1978 Pace Car Edition, a 74 convertible 454, etc.... its a mid transition,[ not different from a 75 or 77] nothing unusual or rare, no high output options..please understand, I m not knocking your car.. its just not one a collector is interested in, thats all.so matching numbers isn t all that inportant.. will, however, make a great car for your daughter, if she likes classic cars.....and before somebody says " but, its the last year of the Sting Ray", its really only the last year the emblem was used..no difference in the car.
no i did not think you were knocking; I was wondering if there was something I was missing like "bad year" or "piece o crap year" no I understand and appreciate the feedback... its still a Vette and she loves em especially the C3. She probably could have asked me for a C6ZO6 and would have got it.... so in one sense I am $lucky$.

·
Registered
217 Posts
very nice car and sounds like you daughter is alot like mine was at that age. weekend of her 16 th birthday she drove my 70 l-t1 4 speed roadster at Maryland international and was 2 tenths off my best with that car.she drove it all the time when the weather was good. she was as good or better behind the wheel than the boys. made me proud

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Fishslayer, Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered what the difference was between my 77 and the 76 Sting Ray. I always loved the name Sting Ray. Maybe I'll put the Sting Ray emblems on and I'll have a 77 Sting Ray :) lol

·
Registered
584 Posts
I always loved the name Sting Ray. Maybe I'll put the Sting Ray emblems on and I'll have a 77 Sting Ray :) lol
me too but people some times refer me to " the guy with the Sting-Ray" so am the lucky guy with a 78 Sting-Ray... O well call it what you want
I hate it has no back seat, O well the hood is OK (as long as I dont wax it, I will slip right-off)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buy USA and not imported weatherstrip. I bought the imported from Ecklers and threw it out because I couldn't close the doors. Wound up buying from Corvette Rubber and had no problems. Good luck! PS Can I get your daughters phone number for my son? : )

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
very nice car and sounds like you daughter is alot like mine was at that age. weekend of her 16 th birthday she drove my 70 l-t1 4 speed roadster at Maryland international and was 2 tenths off my best with that car.she drove it all the time when the weather was good. she was as good or better behind the wheel than the boys. made me proud
Hey thats great! my daughter is a huge Chevy fan and although she is just starting out, it is great she does car shows all the time with me.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts