Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought the 70 vette.
It has a handling issue on hard acceleration and when you let off completely on the gas after hard acceleration.

It pulls left on hard acceleration and then pulls back right when you completely back out of it. Yes, it needs some donuts on the front sway bar and probably the frame mount rubbers and the rear spring bushings are almost gone. I suspect those are the cause, but, I'll ask you people before I order parts.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Well, I bought the 70 vette.
It has a handling issue on hard acceleration and when you let off completely on the gas after hard acceleration.

It pulls left on hard acceleration and then pulls back right when you completely back out of it. Yes, it needs some donuts on the front sway bar and probably the frame mount rubbers and the rear spring bushings are almost gone. I suspect those are the cause, but, I'll ask you people before I order parts.

It sounds like you have a missing bushing in your left-side trailing arm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not notice any pulling issues under braking, straight with no steering corrections.

Come to think about it, when I had my 64 GTO decades ago, the rear end always seemed to want to move right when you hammered the throttle, but no swing the opposite direction when you let off. Never did figure that out. That was not a posi though, one wheel wonder.

Could it be the differential clutches sticking or slipping ??

Had it up to 90 MPH with no noticeable pull to one side or shimmy and when I put on the brakes to back it back down to 65, again no pulling.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
sometimes ya just have to get under the car and look

I was thinking trailing arms too since they are known high wear items

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Had it out today after I picked it up and unfortunately had to do a panic stop because of the jerk that pulled out in front of me. It did pull left.

I have all most all of the bushings for the rear suspension left, got them for the 78 if I need them when I replaced the rear spring and swaped the diff out from a 3.08 to a 3.55. Well I didn't need them, so I have them for the 1970. All I need is the trailing arm bushings and I'll order new replacement bolts as a precaution.

Wife said it seems to be "a little light on its feet", so after I get the rear bushing replaced, I'll bring it in for an all wheel alignment. Heck, the front bushings are in almost as bad shape as the rear, so (here I go again) might as well get all of the front bushing also and get them replaced.

Might as well do it right the first time instead of piece meal !!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fish, I think you just nailed it. Everything looked good to me, but it was on the wheels when it was up on the lift. Look at picture #4 in my post in the General section,

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=51626

Look at the left front wheel. Didn't notice it until you mentioned ball joints !!!!!!! :doh:

Will have it up off the ground on jack stands on saturday!! Will let you know.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
looks toed-out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wheels are slightly turned to the right, off center, from pulling in.

Wifepoo came up with a bunch of chores and I had forgoten (absorbed in 70) about previous things planed for the next 3 days. Will check wheel bearings (seemed okay with the cars weight on them), ball joints, tierod ends, the rest of the front end parts and rear end parts on Wednesday or Thursday when I have some free time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got some time. I lifted the frame with a jack, one corner at a time. Pulled, pushed, twisted, tried using a small pry bar, nothing appears out of wack or loose. Did find that the wheel bearing are not as tight as I thought they were, tires hanging vs. tires on ground. So, I might as well do a bearing grease job on them as I'm not sure when the last time they were done. I'm dreading doing the rear spindles, I dont think they have ever been done!! All parts are rusted the same, including the French Locks, so I bet they have never been done, or at least not in a decade or so.

While I'm greasing the rear bearings, Ill look over the rear spring real good. Just on the chance that it might be weak on one side, I'll flip it right to left, needs new rubbers anyway. Ride height is the same on both sides, so I doubt that will be the problem.

I'll try swapping the front tires, side to side, then the rear side to side to see if that takes care of my pulling problem or changes it, else it is into the shop for a 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well, got some time. I lifted the frame with a jack, one corner at a time. Pulled, pushed, twisted, tried using a small pry bar, nothing appears out of wack or loose. Did find that the wheel bearing are not as tight as I thought they were
no more then 15 pounds for the wheel bearings

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, for the front, then back nut off to insert cotter pin !!

Ya know, simple things first:

Just tighten the wheel bearings
Check tire air pressure.
Have wife crawl around under vette, she nows nothing of what to look for, but hopefully, another set of eyes might see something.
Quick check alignment with string, flat edge and tape measure method.
Drive.
Do quick check alinment again looking for changes. Back vehicle up, do quick check again alignment again.
Swap tires from side to side.
Drive.

Then if problem is still there it's time for alignment shop to do an inspection only. Order parts and then fix.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
have wife move steering wheel back and forth slowly while you watch all moving parts of steering..should be able to spot any slack ...and check the steering box

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good idea, puts more pressure on joints !
Just as long as she doesn't start making her own engine sounds and trys to drive the car like a little kid. OR tries to put it in gear and run me over !! LOL

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good idea, puts more pressure on joints !
Just as long as she doesn't start making her own engine sounds and trys to drive the car like a little kid. OR tries to put it in gear and run me over !! LOL
It depends do you have live insurance but just as a precaution dont leave the keys in the car

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get a tape measure that sewer's use and circumference your tire diameters. You will be surprised at the different measurements that you can get from some sets of tires. I had this problem with all new components, ie trailing arms, spring, shocks and complete front end rebuild w/alinement. torque steered like a brama bull! Circumferenced tires and rearranged putting diameters as close as possible w 2 to 3 lbs of air pressure to get them as close as possible and Poof, problem gone

1 - 20 of 29 Posts