Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
That's the problem, 10k for both. Is it worth the investment and what if any return on the dollar if i sell.
if you are looking at resale value, STOP right now! leave it just as it is , drive awhile and sell it. You will never get all the money back from doing major upgrades like Hi Perf Crate Motors, and 5 spd Trannys, etc .. but that's not the point. I ll bet almost everyone of us has way more in our cars than we can sell them for. And WE DON T MIND one bit !

· Registered
210 Posts
Since I am doing the engine I was thinking of doing the 5 speed conversion, any thoughts anyone.
If you're thinking of a 5 speed conversion, I guess you have a 4 speed now.
Do you do much highway driving?
What gear ratio do you have now?
My 1980 has the stock 3.08 gears. Going to a 5 speed would also mean a different set of gears for the rear for me. But, this could be done at anytime.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
if you are looking at resale value, STOP right now! leave it just as it is , drive awhile and sell it. You will never get all the money back from doing major upgrades like Hi Perf Crate Motors, and 5 spd Trannys, etc .. but that's not the point. I ll bet almost everyone of us has way more in our cars than we can sell them for. And WE DON T MIND one bit !
:iagree::iagree:

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a lot of thought I have decided to go ZZ4 turn key and 700R4 for the type driving I will be doing.
Wanted to do the 502 but it would be a little much for what little I would be able to drive it.
Thanks all for your comments.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
the 700r4 is a great choice. I swapped my TH350 for a 700r4 years ago. its the best of both worlds, good performance and great MPGs in Overdrive. . Make sure it is built to handle whatever Horsepower your new motor has.... When you get started, I would be happy to fill you in on what you need to do to convert . Its not just a direct bolt on replacement, it requires some modifications ..

· Registered
217 Posts
i realize that the 700r is a stronger trans, but it takes more power to run it. so im thinking about a 2004r the gear spread is like the turbo 350 and requires less power to run it. any reason you didn't go that way?

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
i realize that the 700r is a stronger trans, but it takes more power to run it. so im thinking about a 2004r the gear spread is like the turbo 350 and requires less power to run it. any reason you didn't go that way?
"i realize that the 700r is a stronger trans" ..you answered it for me.. at 525HP , I wanted to be sure it would hold it, and . I HATE doing things twice! .. Also, I may add to that HP later and the redline on my engine is 6800 rpm, so the bigger difference in ratio from 1st to 2nd is not as important when you can spin that much rpm . I m sure the 2004r can work too. I ve just seen first hand how mine can take abuse with no issues.

· Registered
217 Posts
you are correct in your application you made a good choice. art carr at california transmission apparently can make the 200 handle 1k horsepower, but i wouldn't want to be the one to do it. the 700 might be a good choice for me too. thanks , i figured you did your homework.

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
you are correct in your application you made a good choice. art carr at california transmission apparently can make the 200 handle 1k horsepower, but i wouldn't want to be the one to do it. the 700 might be a good choice for me too. thanks , i figured you did your homework.
hold 1000hp, I wouldn t want to pay for it!! I m real happy with mine.. The only way I would give it up is for a beefy 6L80 .. and a stand-alone computer to run it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.