Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was reminded why I put so much work into this car...

As per my engine builder's recomendations, the protocol was: 30 minutes of careful, sub 3000RPM driving varying the engine speed, oil change, then drive normally. The tune is not dialed in yet, so I can not go much past 30% throttle (it enters Power Enrichment mode and goes too rich). I still took it easy on the way home after the oil change... But here's my 1st impression:

WOW! What a car! Pullying the supercharger down makes the car come into boost much harder, much sooner. Even driving it mildly it feels as though the car is about a thousand pounds lighter; a little throttle and I can just feel the power rushing in... Its FANTASTIC. Also, after driving that horrible BMW 328I you can see on the video, I have to say that the brakes on the 'Vette are mind blowing ! And, of course, this car runs race tires, bilstein shocks and Z06 swaybars; it simply refuses to let go!
It'll be a good year for burning 93 Octane :drool5:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Have you driven a ZR1 ?

Today I was reminded why I put so much work into this car...

As per my engine builder's recomendations, the protocol was: 30 minutes of careful, sub 3000RPM driving varying the engine speed, oil change, then drive normally. The tune is not dialed in yet, so I can not go much past 30% throttle (it enters Power Enrichment mode and goes too rich). I still took it easy on the way home after the oil change... But here's my 1st impression:

WOW! What a car! Pullying the supercharger down makes the car come into boost much harder, much sooner. Even driving it mildly it feels as though the car is about a thousand pounds lighter; a little throttle and I can just feel the power rushing in... Its FANTASTIC. Also, after driving that horrible BMW 328I you can see on the video, I have to say that the brakes on the 'Vette are mind blowing ! And, of course, this car runs race tires, bilstein shocks and Z06 swaybars; it simply refuses to let go!
It'll be a good year for burning 93 Octane :drool5:

How would it compare in performance and money invested? Sounds like your car would be a great car to challenge the mighty ZR1. Great job. Congrats

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would it compare in performance and money invested? Sounds like your car would be a great car to challenge the mighty ZR1. Great job. Congrats
My car would Wipe the floor with a ZR-1 in a straight line: 200 lbs less weight and almost 200 MORE horsepower at the wheels, and it wouldn't even be a contest. I could also just about build two of these for what a brand new ZR1 sells for today.
But the same goes for any highly modified car. Hell, I've seen stock displacement (2L) four cylinder Mitsubishis that would wipe the floor with this car too. Its not a fair comparison; I'm boosting the hell out of the engine with no warranty and I don't have any of the many other extras the make the ZR-1 cost so much more, like the composite brakes, the CF bits, etc etc...

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is awesome! Now what is that attached to the top of your steering wheel? Looks like a bracket for something?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you're feeling the boost below 3k, now you're getting the Maggie experience plus the big top end. :thumbsup:
Is your pulley the same as what ECS uses when they combine it with a restictor plate to keep the top end HP down on non-forged motors?

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Simply Awesome!:drool5:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Really...

My car would Wipe the floor with a ZR-1 in a straight line: 200 lbs less weight and almost 200 MORE horsepower at the wheels, and it wouldn't even be a contest. I could also just about build two of these for what a brand new ZR1 sells for today.
But the same goes for any highly modified car. Hell, I've seen stock displacement (2L) four cylinder Mitsubishis that would wipe the floor with this car too. Its not a fair comparison; I'm boosting the hell out of the engine with no warranty and I don't have any of the many other extras the make the ZR-1 cost so much more, like the composite brakes, the CF bits, etc etc...
So..if a ZR1 goes 205mph in a sraight line and you would WIPE THE FLOOR,just how fast do you think your car will go? I hope you YOUTUBE it for all to see. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you're feeling the boost below 3k, now you're getting the Maggie experience plus the big top end. :thumbsup:
Is your pulley the same as what ECS uses when they combine it with a restictor plate to keep the top end HP down on non-forged motors?
I believe it is one size smaller than that.

SWEET!! :thumbsup: I can't even imagine the kind of trouble I would get into with that beast. With 700 HP at the wheels it has just about twice what my car has! (366 RWHP) What kind of tires are you using?
Nitto 555 R2 on the back a set of widened front wheels. They are 305/35R18
Toyo Proxes R888 up front, 265/35R18.

Both are 100-Threadwear Road Racing tires. The previous built made 600RWHP and I could hook that up in 1st. It would pull a full G and pop the radar detector off the windshield. Probably won't hook 1st any more, but I am hoping 2nd will hook.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So..if a ZR1 goes 205mph in a sraight line and you would WIPE THE FLOOR,just how fast do you think your car will go? I hope you YOUTUBE it for all to see. Good Luck.
LS3: 380WHP, 189MPH
LS7: 460WHP, 198MPH
LS9: 560WHP, 205MPH

Top speed is a cubed function of horsepower, so if you DOUBLE the power of the engine, you will increase the top speed by (Sqrt3(2)) = 25% I.E. big gains in horsepower do not translate into lage gains in top speed. Also, gearing plays a big role. The ZR1 makes peak power at 205MPH. With my gearing and tire size I am doing 6300RPM at that point, which is below peak power.
The theoretical answer you are looking for is probably a number in the 210ish MPH range (212, 215, something like that), and the engine would be doing 6700ish RPM at that point.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow..

LS3: 380WHP, 189MPH
LS7: 460WHP, 198MPH
LS9: 560WHP, 205MPH

Top speed is a cubed function of horsepower, so if you DOUBLE the power of the engine, you will increase the top speed by (Sqrt3(2)) = 25% I.E. big gains in horsepower do not translate into lage gains in top speed. Also, gearing plays a big role. The ZR1 makes peak power at 205MPH. With my gearing and tire size I am doing 6300RPM at that point, which is below peak power.
The theoretical answer you are looking for is probably a number in the 210ish MPH range (212, 215, something like that), and the engine would be doing 6700ish RPM at that point.
PLEASE video that run. That would be so cool.:burnout:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Man what a creation! sounds freaking great. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PLEASE video that run. That would be so cool.:burnout:
Its done already... Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ZbToHLqrE

That video was taken last year at a Corvettes-only closed highway event. 38 seconds into the video I downshift into 4rth gear. At 44 seconds I shift into 5th, doing approximately 150 miles an hour. Between 1:05 and 1:15 on that video the speedometer is pegged at "200" and I've got it to the floor, still accelerating. Some time after 1:15 the DIC says "Service Charging System" and I decide to lift. The alternator cut out after spinning that fast for that long (overheated?) and the car was running on the battery alone.
This was with 597RWHP although, realistically, being that this is a supercharged car, after that much time at full throttle, the intake air temperature has probably crept up high enough to force the engine to pull back a lot of timing; that was something I observed on the drag strip; the car would start out running 16 degrees of timing and cross the finish line with maybe 11 or 12 degrees because of how hot the system got; that's an 80ish HP power loss and the trap speed always reflected a car with a lot less powe than what the dyno suggested.
The new build doesn't just make 100+ more WHP on the dyno; it uses digital logic controlled methanol/water injection to prevent the intake air temperature from climbing during sustained full boost operation... So a run like this with the new build will be MUCH faster because it will keep making full power the whole time.
I'll be sure to post it if/when it happens :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.