Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a strange issue. After engine shut down and ignition turn off i am hearing mechanical noise from the right side of the car fuel pump noise. The noise is extremely louad and continues until what i assume is when the spray rack regains fuel pressure. after that the noise goes away. I have no noise while driving. It only happens after the ignition is shut off. This mechanical noise is not the typical hiss of a fuel pump. This is not my first corvette, and have scowered the service manual to see if there is any mention of this problem. I only have 20k miles on this car. It is strange. I have no loss of power while driving and no hesitation while driving. At first I thought it may be a fuel filter issue due to the cars age and the lack of use. Thank you for any and all help..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is strange

I am completely baffled. I have nor error codes, no hesitation but the noise. It is very loud. I'm wondering if it is a bad relay or a strange electrical issue causing the fuel pump to act up. The car has 20k on it. I will replace the fuel filter today and post an update.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea; That is an odd issue. The fuel pump will "charge" the lines when you switch it on, but when you switch the car off, there is no power going to the pump.

·
Registered
177 Posts
:iagree: I get the fuel pump priming noise upon turning the car on but nothing when it's getting turned off. I wish we could hear the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuel pump

It has to be the fuel pump. I replaced the filter and the mechanical noise still exists. The noise occurs right after I turn the ignition off. It is a loud metallic pump noise. I will try to video it and post it on youtube so you can hear tha audio.. I had wishful thinking that I would be able to offer less stress on the pump with a new filter. Is there any type of pump for the ride control? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im embarrassed to say that the noise was another stripped headlight gear on my passenger side headlight. Thank you all for following my wild goose chase to resolution. Happy to find the problem, but tired of fixing the same thing twice on a car with 20k miles. It may be time to buy a fixed headlight setup for the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts