Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Recently on my way to work, i was exiting off of a highway and the tack just dropped to 0 and the car shut off and would not restart. I thought it may be out of gas so i put some fuel in and still it wouldn't start. Called AAA and they towed it to the shop. The service guy said it started right up for him and said there is nothing wrong with it. So i picked it up and started driving home. 15 minutes later, i was calling the tow truck again. I recently had the fuel filter changed so it can't be that. I was thinking fuel pump but am not sure. It feels like vapor lock since it starts up after the 1.5 hours after the tow however i don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated so i can give some advice to the mechanic.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have herd of bad fuel pumps getting hot and not pumping correctly. They take a long time to cool off. I would start there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i'll start with getting the pump changed. I've never heard of these engines vapor locking but could this be causing this issue? If so, any solutions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear LT1
I own a 95 LT1 that did the same thing to me and abuot drove me crazy trying to diagnosis the problem. To make a long story sort change your coil wire, from the opti spark dist to the coil. Mine had started this behavoir after I installed a new set of ignition wires in it. It turned out that there was a small crack in the insulation on the coil wire that after it heated up [ Aprox. 15mins. ] would just shut down the ignition and would not restart until it was towed home.
Good luck pop's 95

·
Banned
161 Posts
Pops is on to something is have your mechanic let the car idle or fastrack it is to lap the block a few times close to the shop is bring a timing light.

Once the car shuts off, have the mechanic hook up his timing light, aim the light at the windshield, get in, start the car and if there no spark..... Pops needs some :thumbsup: is use is lucky he is ear to help is you wit day Popsdeespark is not sparking, Pops... WOT should he do?

Dumb is **** is not to forget the damn is timing light ya sap is crap is wrench is **** for diagnostics is he eats that job is you do not pay a second time is now change my opti and ****.... You trust him(?still) is did he do a through job is take the damn car to lunch is kill it on the road wear out is my timing light?......... Sheet..I lift it on the left it dare is I'm lost and all turned around on the lunch order is how do you put the opti is 249571 the timing fire off? Is the pickle in cylinder 9? Going once, going twice, Sold!...... Who wanted no pickle is tickle mine.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Circuit board in the ECM would be a burnt unit. Sound more like a sensor heats up is out of spec/goes back in spec starts is not the ECM is if it was the ECM it would be dead is even the sensor is dead is possible a coil is cooking and resisting out of spec is he should know his 3 anchor variables when an engine does not start.

Did he measure resistance between the book and found one sensor close to break-out of the spec range? Crank sensor meaning?

You might have the key on, ear the fuel pump then that ECM fires off on the last good known signal. How come that ECM still recognizes the signal?

He might throw a black box at it. Make sure you have a free pick-up/toe you back is use is walking back wit a phantom not solved. You will know soon enough. Hope that is it cause it is one of the 3 start the car Variables. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Recently on my way to work, i was exiting off of a highway and the tack just dropped to 0 and the car shut off and would not restart. I thought it may be out of gas so i put some fuel in and still it wouldn't start. Called AAA and they towed it to the shop. The service guy said it started right up for him and said there is nothing wrong with it. So i picked it up and started driving home. 15 minutes later, i was calling the tow truck again. I recently had the fuel filter changed so it can't be that. I was thinking fuel pump but am not sure. It feels like vapor lock since it starts up after the 1.5 hours after the tow however i don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated so i can give some advice to the mechanic.

Thanks
are your fuel lines dressed up in those chrome casings? If they are, thats your problem. Braided metal fuel lines heat up and burn the gas before it can even hit your throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Hello cntrhub. Are you for real? It seems like every one just reads over your posts and no one will say any thing. You must be joking, I went back and looked it some of your other posts and there all the same, They make no sense, But very funny i must say, And it seams no one See's them or replies the them, I dont under stand what your trying to say. But again you are very funny and i will keep reading your posts.
David

·
Banned
161 Posts
Weeell, Thanks, SPU... Is U might be the only one reading the laughs. Some do not take the cerebral is more like it. So, you must have some smarts working my lines is because if I am laughing it out on the type, maybe someone (u SP is U) get my joke is it was funny twice, (is I thought it was to me; was then you too?).

But, if you reread it and that computer just sticks out like a sore thumb is when it hit me what that black box does; it change my life; is like I had sex with Delphi or Martin/Murietta is that eye tail onion diode with extra pep her only is I gave up women; for sex with a black box.

The things I do to that little box is glue hair on it just so it's more personal when I stare at it.... Kind of home sick; but can you imagine that voice squeak we both wake up together (and she has that honey-due list waiting), is I rather hear brake shoes hit the backing on the discs, (the pads are worn away than hear her [the old lady] in my ear all day).

Hey, I'm like in trouble already (ear at smoke inn) is who knows how long I got here. So, get it while it lasts. :thumbsup: :patriot: Freedom of speech is all eyes guts left.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Weeell, Thanks, SPU... Is U might be the only one reading the laughs. Some do not take the cerebral is more like it. So, you must have some smarts working my lines is because if I am laughing it out on the type, maybe someone (u SP is U) get my joke is it was funny twice, (is I thought it was to me; was then you too?).

But, if you reread it and that computer just sticks out like a sore thumb is when it hit me what that black box does; it change my life; is like I had sex with Delphi or Martin/Murietta is that eye tail onion diode with extra pep her only is I gave up women; for sex with a black box.

The things I do to that little box is glue hair on it just so it's more personal when I stare at it.... Kind of home sick; but can you imagine that voice squeak we both wake up together (and she has that honey-due list waiting), is I rather hear brake shoes hit the backing on the discs, (the pads are worn away than hear her [the old lady] in my ear all day).

Hey, I'm like in trouble already (ear at smoke inn) is who knows how long I got here. So, get it while it lasts. :thumbsup: :patriot: Freedom of speech is all eyes guts left.
Hello cntrhub.
I have reread this 3 times and i know there's a hidden message in it some were, Your one funny SOB. I will try reading again. Your killing me, Whats the secret code?
David

·
Banned
161 Posts
Your killing me, Whats the secret code?
David
You need to survive 3 brain concussions and come back in some sort of sanity is that secret code is take a test rude of you to smash that customer's car all up is stitch your head up is no seat belt planting that front end in the side of that building is no worse for wear is that's one concussion. Get another car is we ain't done...

Come on Dave, cup pull more cars in the bay is lettuce get another Vetttttt

How many cars are left in the shop is that wall has yet to budge. Pretty soon, I'll start making sense is you need 2 more knock outs to go.

Ear is what you do... You'll see it coming and then you relax. Let the brain fly in the crain eee you yummmm was that fun.
Wanna try the bike next, boat boy?

Get over hear you!...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solution to this dilema

Hi all,
After 3 tows, a replaced ignition module, replaced fuel filter, and finally a replaced fuel pump, my 92 vette appears to be back on the road. Luckily the mechanic i took it to realized i was getting a bit frustrated and didn't charge me for a the last visit which was the fuel pump replacement and also stated that if i got stuck on the road again, they would come and get me and not charge me. I think i found a decent mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RESPONSE TO ALL WHO HAVE THIS SIMILAR PROBLEM:

Most likely the problem is not an ECM problem. There should have been other troubleshooting steps to try b/c a bad ECM will give many other problems including a no-start. FYI: The ECM (located in engine compartment above battery) is built and sealed very well unless actual physical damage occurs and/or the fuses are blown and it will actually last for a very long time and many miles and despite the above comment, they do not wear out like and old TV. The CCM (located inside interior dash) is controlled by the ECM and only controls the interior components of the car and is not the culprit for this condition.

Before considering replacing an ECM, read the below first procedures:

If the starter turns the engine over, test to see if there is fire to the spark plugs. If not there are two components that are the most likely culprit and the first least costly solution to try first is:

1) The Ignition Control Module (ICM): located on the front right-side (passenger) engine valve head. It is bolted with two small hex/Allen-head screws on an aluminum heat-sink plate on the head. Each with di-electric grease sandwiched between each component and the head. The ICM costs about $150 and is easy to install. Very important when replacing, do not forget to use the supplied di-electric grease when bolting them back on head. If the car does not start after this, no problem b/c you replaced a component that needs to be replaced anyway due to the age of the car and keep it.
So on to the real culprit:
2) The original GM OptiSpark distributor is most likely the culprit because it will fail due to: leaking/failing water pump dripping coolant onto below distributor, repeated car wash underside blast, over 75-120K miles on distributor combined with the age of the car because the electronics were not made to last over 20 years (this is true for other electrical components in the engine compartment area). If your car has the original distributor, it most likely failed. SO PAY ATTENTION HERE !!...replace the OptiSpark distributor with a new genuine GM AC DELCO OptiSpark distributor. There are several main reasons why you go back with the AC Delco: the 1992-1996 corvette models had special high temperature electronic components inside this distributor to handle the adverse heat produced from this special LT1 engine for corvettes only. Other 1992-1996 GM vehicles like the Camaro, TransAm, Cadillac, etc. had the same displacement LT1 motor with distributor, but those cars were not built for the engine performance of the corvette models. They can take a replacement non-GM specified distributor because their engines were not designed for the special cam/crank/heat engine specifications the corvette had. The cost for a genuine new and up-graded AC Delco distributor for the corvette is about $950. The average cost for a replacement after-market non-GM supplier from Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, etc. is $150-$350. DO NOT purchase one of these b/c it will fail within 6 months when it rains, underbody car wash blasting, or outside air temps are above 70 degrees. The engine heat and humidity will deteriorate those distributor's electronics fast. ONLY purchase the AC Delco version.
Trust me, I learned the hard way by purchasing two $350 distributors and paying also to install twice ($600 per install) only to find out the distributors failed each time after about 6 months. In fact, my advice is to replace any electrical component with GM or AC Delco certified replacement parts. The corvette is a high-performance vehicle and should be treated as such. You can get away with some after-market stuff but not the performance components and that especially includes the clutch assembly. Pay the $1000 for the GM clutch assy. instead of a $350 AutoZone clutch assy.

Otherwise, this car's series is very good and reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts