Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, i'm working on a customers 91 vette. It cuts out while moving at about 3000 rpm at WOT. But when the car is in park, it revs to the redline. Also, the car will power brake up to red line without a problem. However, like i said when the car is rolling and you step on it, it cuts out and barely idles. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
HI, i'm working on a customers 91 vette. It cuts out while moving at about 3000 rpm at WOT. But when the car is in park, it revs to the redline. Also, the car will power brake up to red line without a problem. However, like i said when the car is rolling and you step on it, it cuts out and barely idles. Any help would be appreciated

It sounds like you have a plugged up fuel filter. Not enough to prevent the engine from being revved up high when it's out of gear, but enough to starve the engine when a heavy load is put on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pretty easy to change and not alot of $$ either!:sm_party:

·
Smokin Vendor
1,746 Posts
I'd check the voltage on the TPS. Should read 0-5 volts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it is under load when its being power braked. I don't think its a fuel issue. I'll check that, and thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
TPS voltage with key on not running I believe is .545 volts.
When you get to the 3000 RPMs when under load does it just quit there or can you get higher?
My first thought maybe check the cat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it quits after 3000 under load when its moving, but while doing a burnout it'll wind up as far as you wanna take it

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is how you troubleshoot customer cars...burnouts and brake stances? You say "customer" so I'm assuming your familiar with basic troubleshooting...no? Engine lights or not? If not, start with basic systems that are affected by load but not monitored directly by the ecu....plugs, wires, basic fuel system components, etc. Start simple then move forward.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
This is how you troubleshoot customer cars...burnouts and brake stances? You say "customer" so I'm assuming your familiar with basic troubleshooting...no? Engine lights or not? If not, start with basic systems that are affected by load but not monitored directly by the ecu....plugs, wires, basic fuel system components, etc. Start simple then move forward.

Exactly. Start with the most obvious (like the fuel filter) then check the fuel pressure. As you say it loses power under load, take a good look at the distributor cap. It should be clean with no signs of "carbon tracking". The carbon tracking can be on the inside OR the outside, so look it over real good. Look for what looks like a pencil line between two terminals. But carbon tracking would cause a definite miss under load and not just a loss of power. It sure sounds like you have a fuel starvation problem, and the fuel filter is the most obvious place to look. Especially if it's the original filter, as it often gets completely overlooked because of it's under-the-car location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's more of a friend than a customer. He's working on it with me and if he says it's ok to try then why not?. New cap and rotor, New fuel filter, Its getting good pressure throughout the fuel system, New computer, It's not throwing any codes, have a new chip on the way to try that. Can't think of anything else to try

1 - 13 of 13 Posts