Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I been losing brake fluid on the front container. When I brake I have to constantly pump the brake pedal to stop or slow down. Took car to shop said I need a master cylinder. Does anyone know where I can purchase it and if anyone has a picture as well. Thank you!!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Losing Brake Fluid

So recently I been losing brake fluid on the front container. When I brake I have to constantly pump the brake pedal to stop or slow down. Took car to shop said I need a master cylinder. Does anyone know where I can purchase it and if anyone has a picture as well. Thank you!!

First of all the fact the front half is losing fluid indicates you either have a leaking steel brake line where it attaches to the master cylinder or you have a leaking caliper. Most likely a caliper and you can check it easily by just looking at it. It'll appear "darker" wherever the leak is. The calipers are real easy to rebuild and the rebuild kits are readily available. To polish the bores (where the pistons go in) I usually wrap my brake cylinder hone with a strip of 600 wet-or-dry sandpaper then spin it until the bore is shiny (keeping it lubed with brake fluid). Then wash it out with hot water, blow dry, then re-assemble. Then bleed the brakes starting with the rear brakes. To bleed them all you need to do is keep your master cylinder full and let gravity push the brake fluid out of the bleeder valves (bleeding just one at a time).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked my calipers nothing is leaking notices there is leakage or wetness coming from master cylinder that connects to the booster I believe it's called

1 - 3 of 3 Posts