Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post here so thank you in advance for any and all assistance and I am looking to becoming a supporting member of this forum.

I am in the process of reviving a 1982 Stingray Corvette (CE) that was given to me by a family member. This is not my first car project by any means but it is my first Corvette, and Chevrolet for that matter. It has been parked for awhile and I have finally got to the point where I am trying to get it to fire up.

So, the battery in the car is pretty old and barely holds a charge so I have it jumped over to my other car parked right next to it (with a similar battery size, a little bit smaller though). I get clicking but no start. I can hear it try to turn the engine over but it just clicks and clicks. My first thought is that there isn't enough juice to accomplishing turning the engine over. So, I switched over to my engine start/battery charger and hooked it to the 82's battery. It still only clicked. After a few more tries, the clicking stopped and now I turn the key and there's nothing. I crawled under the passenger side engine compartment to inspect the starter and see what type of voltage I read. By the way, I have since bought the car it's own, brand new battery.

Upon immediate inspection I find a couple of loose plugs/wires. One is a two wire (Black and Blue, maybe 14 gauge plug) and the other is a single wire (Black, I think, that looks as if it has a screw receptor on it).

Pictures of these plugs have been attached to this post. I have no idea what these could be so any input is greatly appreciated.

On the starter solenoid I can see the larger terminal with the large batt + and the two red wires connected to it. On the engine side of the solenoid I see a smaller single wire terminal which looks to be tannish in color (could be purple?). There is also another terminal opposite of this terminal (outboard side) that has nothing connected to it. Does this connect to anything?

I have attached a photo of my starter solenoid connection interface. Please forgive the blurriness... I was having a hard time taking the photo on the ground.

I measure continuity of the larger terminal to batt + but no voltage across upon turning the key. So, what are the other two terminals and what type of readings should i get?

This is my main concern. If I knew how many terminals I should be utilizing and what types of voltages I should be reading at them then I could be better off for diagnosing. Also, knowing what those two "mystery" plugs are would be a must also!

I apologize for the length of my first post but again I appreciate any and all input.

P.S. I have also noticed that the interior lights stay on at all times when the battery is connected....I'm guessing this is a short somewhere... any common areas to look?

Again, Thank you and I look forward to all of your replies.

*I don't have enough posts for links/images so PM me for pics*

· Premium Member
9,061 Posts
there is only one wire, purple, I believe, to the terminal on solenoid marked S ..that's from switch ..the other terminal is not used in your system, its for older models ..larger cable and red wires to main lug.. the clicking is the solenoid engaging ...you can bypass the solenoid to check it, with a screwdriver across the S terminal and the main lug..starter should engage .. the starter could be bad or jammed.. tap lightly on the case and try again .. check your battery connections , clean and tight

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Problems With An '82

When you hear a rapid clicking in the solenoid that means the voltage going to it is way too low to keep it energized. And almost certainly a dead or near dead battery causing it.

I am the forum's '82 geru and I can certainly help you get it going as well as answer any questions you have about the '82's and their CrossFire system. Contact me at [email protected] and we'll get started on the troubleshooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.