Chevy Corvette Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
right cylinder head is that passenger or driver side right side faceing away from front or right side looking at front of car beneath 6 and 8 plug are those front two or rear two what side?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Front Or Rear and Left Or Right?

right cylinder head is that passenger or driver side right side faceing away from front or right side looking at front of car beneath 6 and 8 plug are those front two or rear two what side?

The right cylinder head is on the passenger side. All references to which side of a car is made from your sitting in the driver's seat and looking foreword. The switch that turns the fan on is located about 3" above the #6 and #8 spark plugs and is hidden by the heat shield that covers those two plugs. Many years ago I screwed a short 3/8" pipe nipple and coupling into my right-side head to extend the switch out beyond the heat shield so I could get to the wires easily without having to remove that shield.

The wires are joined together by a plastic coupling but my coupling broke (from heat) a long time ago. So I had to remove the broken coupling and crimp two 1/4" female spade terminals on my wires. As the switch is simply an ON/OFF switch it doesn't matter which terminals the wires go to.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
1982 Corvettes

sounds like i ran across the right person for advise thankyou i will check it out and catch up with you down the road for sure.

Yeah pumper, I probably know more about these '82's than anyone else on this forum because I have owned mine for 23 years. The main difference between the '82's and prior years is the CrossFire Injection system, the use of a computer (ECM) to control the fuel mixture and ignition timing, and the TH700R4 transmission. Other than that the '82's are pretty much the same as all the others made since 1968.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
hey to broke ,following the line from the fan why is there a connection to ac are you sure the only activation for fan is sensor at 6 and 8 plug?

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Auxillary Fan Control

hey to broke ,following the line from the fan why is there a connection to ac are you sure the only activation for fan is sensor at 6 and 8 plug?

According to my 1982 shop manual there is no connection to the AC compressor. Just to the heat sensing switch located in the right-side cylinder head. It's possible a previous owner wired into his clutch circuit. According to my shop manual the fan is hot all the time and gets grounded by the switch in the head.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
yea something is going on there cause part of the connection goes to the ac compressor, one wire is at the bottom and one at the top, could just be the power for compressor and the same wires are housed together electric fan and compressor thanks...will investigate further

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
hey to broke to retire yea the previous arkansas hill billy owner of the car was not so bright, no oxygen sensor, and i got to compare the wireing harness to another 82 for the electric fan, looks like for what ever reason he completed the circut for the fan with the hot wire on the ac compressor so the fan would turn on as soon as the ignition is turned on, what an idiot, so i had replaced the sensor with a sensor switch from mid america now to undo the electric tape to see what all was cut and restore to original oh boy never buy on line unless you get to sleep with it first in person hard lesson learned!

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Electric Fan

hey to broke to retire yea the previous arkansas hill billy owner of the car was not so bright, no oxygen sensor, and i got to compare the wireing harness to another 82 for the electric fan, looks like for what ever reason he completed the circut for the fan with the hot wire on the ac compressor so the fan would turn on as soon as the ignition is turned on, what an idiot, so i had replaced the sensor with a sensor switch from mid america now to undo the electric tape to see what all was cut and restore to original oh boy never buy on line unless you get to sleep with it first in person hard lesson learned!

Yeah, the electric fan is only there to help cool it down whenever the temperature goes up to 228 degrees and I've only seen that happen once in my '82 after driving it for 23 years. It was after I had shut it off and then happened to turn my key back on several minutes later. The fan only ran for about a minute.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
but on a different note the new ecm temp sensor i installed has made for a better start up once i get my new exhaust and re-establish the o2 sensor i am really expexting the car to run a lot better i will keep you posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front Or Rear and Left Or Right?

The right cylinder head is on the passenger side. All references to which side of a car is made from your sitting in the driver's seat and looking foreword. The switch that turns the fan on is located about 3" above the #6 and #8 spark plugs and is hidden by the heat shield that covers those two plugs. Many years ago I screwed a short 3/8" pipe nipple and coupling into my right-side head to extend the switch out beyond the heat shield so I could get to the wires easily without having to remove that shield.

The wires are joined together by a plastic coupling but my coupling broke (from heat) a long time ago. So I had to remove the broken coupling and crimp two 1/4" female spade terminals on my wires. As the switch is simply an ON/OFF switch it doesn't matter which terminals the wires go to.
Could that cause it to shut down when engine gets warmd up if not plugged in

41 - 54 of 54 Posts