Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1980 engine swap

7K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I am swapping out my stock 350cid with a 383cid 405hp/450 torque from Blueprint engines (Summit Racing) and am running a new 700R4 from Monster Trans. I have a couple questions...Has anyone heard anything bad about Blueprint Engines? And when I install the motor, can I use my stock radiator if I have it cleaned, rodded and checked? I don't want to run hot if I need a bigger radiator. Can I use my stock flex plate on the engine swap from my stock engine to a crate engine? What is recommended?

Thanks, Brad

#2 ·
stock radiator in good condition is fine..I have no overheating issues with 525HP and the stock radiator ....no on the flexplate ..383 requires a weighted plate not a neutral plate ..didn t your new motor come with one? or has it not arrived yet ?Blueprint can provide you with the proper flexplate ... they have a very good warranty , one of our members had a failure after warranty expired, and they still made it good.

#4 ·
Be sure and tell them what trans you're using= the 700 convertor bolt pattern is a little different than a 350/400. Like just enough the bolts won't fit. Some flexplates are drilled for both. But it's certainly a PITA to find out AFTER you get the trans all bolted in.

:1sm258fight:

#6 ·
OK, guys, I am back!! I installed my new Blueprint crate motor (Dyno'd 417hp) last night and ready to install my Monster Tranny 700R4 tonight (with my new driveshaft). I would like to know what is a good radiator setup and thermostat setting to go with? Go back with original fan, electric fans, aluminum radiator? :thumbsup3:

#7 ·
Not sure how far you want to go with it, but I went with Dewitts aluminum radiator, dual spal fans, 160 thermostat, did a serpentine conversion from an 89' Firebird and used an Edelbrock Victor Jr reverse flow waterpump, and a March underdrive pulley set.

#25 ·
160 is TOO COLD :DeadHorse:

#10 ·
I am transferring everything from my old carb to the new and I have a wire from my automatic choke. I guess I don't need this wire because it doesn't look like an auto choke on the new one. There are a lot of changes from my original motor to this 1986 and up style. I hope I don't miss anything. I brought over my throttle cable holder, cruise control and the parts for my detent cable. I hope I get the detent cable on right, I hear horror stories about that.

#11 ·
I am also going with new parts for the starter, alternator, power steering pump, oil sending unit, and temperature sensor. Any other suggestions? Of course, new belts and hoses, thermostat housing and thermostat (160F ???).
Does the stock fan make too much noise? I hear people say that but I never heard it or it never bothered me. I think I will reuse it and go with a new aluminum radiator. How many passes should it have? 2 or 3?

#13 ·
I have installed the new Blueprint engine and now working to get my accessories back on. I am having issues with the pulleys lining up and I even had to purchase a short nosed water pump. My pulleys still don’t line up. Do you have any clue why this is? Should I install a serpentine belt/ pulley system since the block is a 1986 or newer? If I do, doesn’t it take a reverse flow water pump? And maybe a different style power steering pump? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

#15 ·
If your damper isn't all the way on it's very possible the small Woodruff key has rolled and if it has the damper will have to be removed and the key re-positioned. With your original pulleys mounted on the water pump the rear of the pulleys should exactly line up with the front of your damper..................

#23 ·
Those two clamps are hard to get to but when you put them back on position them so you can get to them with a nut driver or ? easier. You often have to use an open or box end wrench and once you get the clamp loose and slid down CUT the hose with a real sharp knife instead of trying to twist it loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.