Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced almost all the handling components on my car, ball joints tie rod ends, idler arm, shocks and anti-sway bar but after diving my car the handling gets worse and checked my tires(in the air and warm) and they tilt up & down ( / ) am thinking the only thing left is the inner and outer bearings
what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
what exactly do you mean by handling got worse?what does it do? does it drift,wander, follow the ruts in the road, loose steering, pull to one side? have you checked the alignment? checked for slack in the steering coupling or steering box?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what exactly do you mean by handling got worse?what does it do? does it drift,wander, follow the ruts in the road, loose steering, pull to one side? have you checked the alignment? checked for slack in the steering coupling or steering box?
after 10-20 miles the the car wanders to the sides and on ruff roads the car gets worse
and at 55 & up even worse
haven't done an alignment but marked the tie rod ends for the new ones
and A-arm bushings are new

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
it may be just bad alignment ...did you check the play in the steering box? there is an Over Center adjustment bolt and locking nut on top of the box... make small adjustments at a time. .. could also be in the steering control valve assembly.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
once I took the car to align and they quoted me 90 bucks and I had to buy the shims for the rear trailing arms is that to much? I know of another shop so they are not the only ones
So is it normal for the wheels to have play? still sounds like weak bearings

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Front End Alignments

once I took the car to align and they quoted me 90 bucks and I had to buy the shims for the rear trailing arms is that to much? I know of another shop so they are not the only ones
So is it normal for the wheels to have play? still sounds like weak bearings

I learned how to do front-end alignments a long time ago so I always do my own. You just need a cheap angle protractor and lot of patience.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don't know how to do alignment myself so paid the $80.00 to have it done at a shop after I rebuilt my front end. Everything I read said it should be aligned after. Probably a good idea to put new bearings in just to make sure. That was the easy part, but then I took out all A arms, steering, etc to replace all the bushings and ball joints.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I learned how to do front-end alignments a long time ago so I always do my own. You just need a cheap angle protractor and lot of patience.
I use string and a level when at the track

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been reading at hotrod.com on how to align, I think I can do it (just need a piece of string) but I haven't read about how to align the back (got the shims like a year ago when I redid the bushings)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts