Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pic of my new to me 1970. It's all number matching and correct, except possibly the hub caps. Even though they look like the ones in the original supplement to the original owners manual, I just don't know if they are the originals.

YES, that is snow left from the past winter.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
body looks to be in excellant shape... thats not original paint tho..you see the gray primer underneath.. factory was a dull redish brown primer.. good find. Don t know how much you paid for it, but with a new paint job, it will be a fine car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had an appraiser go over the car prior to me even taking it out for a test drive. He did't find anything wrong with it except needing a paint job. Had some things he suggested for maintenance, all except one was on my need to do list anyway. His biggest issue with the car was the exhaust sytem. From factory manifolds back are muffler shop made copies of the original exhaust, but they had only 2 of the exhaust hangers installed and the result was a cracked (1/4 way around) drivers side muffler input pipe to muffler joint. He appraised it at $18,000 as it sits, I paid less :coffeetime: and as he said, he works for me and will not discuss anything with the owner. His inspection results, minus what he rated the car at and his appraisal value, was given to the seller by me as we started negotiations on the price. But, with him not finding very much, mostly normal maintenance issues, it was hard to get the seller to move on his asking price. He said that if I have it repainted back to the yellow (original color, clear coat okay), he would do a new appraisal on it for free, as long as it is kept original and don't modify anything on the car. On the appraisal he stated what the car would be worth if it was kept original and repainted to the color number. His value surprised me and he said to make sure that I gave the insurance company of the appraisal, which I did and it's now insured for his appraisal value.

JUST JOKING, maybe I should crash it and make a nice sum ?? JUST JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too many of these old cars have been vette rodded and originals are hard to find.
One thing, it has 46,704 original miles, sorry 46,788 now, copies of previous titles, owner documentation info, but with the small gas tank, gas gauge sure drops quickly!!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd semi-restore it with a minimum of fuss

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the original paint. If you look closely at the pics, you'll see what appears to be the reddish-brown primer at the edges of the missing paint spots. The gray area looks like the bare fiberglass to me. Maybe a closer pic would help.
You're going to love that car. I have a '72 ragtop that I bought in August '74. Now have 59,000 miles. It's a 4 speed and has the removable hardtop too. Your hubcaps are original. Same ones I have on mine. When you get your new paint job, you're gonna get a lot of thumbs up as you drive down the street. Good luck.
Duane

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The red primer does lay over the gray glass. Just had to scrape it a little to find out yesterday. Red comes off to reveal more of the gray glass.

Thanks for the replys.

Since '70 was the year I graduated from highschool, she is going to get back to the way she was on the dealers showroom floor, at least all that shows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts