Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if it is necessary to use the original style valve cover with the indentation on the driver's side of a 1968 427, 4 speed car. I have searched the 'net and found yes, no, maybe etc etc.
I tried a search here but, did not find what I was looking for.
The PO had started the job, died and the new owner brought the car to us. The chassis and engine work was started.
The left valve cover was installed on the right side. I thought maybe the dent was for compressor clearance untill I started looking around the net and found the real reason for the dent is brake booster clearance.
So, will regular, short style aftermarket covers fit?
Some say yes, some say no. Some say the '68 booster is smaller and that GM kept the same valve covers anyway.
This is not a factory type resto. so, original covers are not necessary. We have the originals but, they are a little below par and also want to go diecast or, heavier steel. Tall style covers are not needed-this car does not have roller rockers.
So, what are you guys using - do I need the dent or, not?
I have been going through this thing finding lost of loose fasteners etc. For example-when I removed the cover I found the #8 rocker arm loose/disengauged from the pushrod. That would have not been a good thing at all for start up! BBC VC.jpg OFF HIS ROCKER.jpg

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
I am trying to find out if it is necessary to use the original style valve cover with the indentation on the driver's side of a 1968 427, 4 speed car. I have searched the 'net and found yes, no, maybe etc etc.
I tried a search here but, did not find what I was looking for.
The PO had started the job, died and the new owner brought the car to us. The chassis and engine work was started.
The left valve cover was installed on the right side. I thought maybe the dent was for compressor clearance untill I started looking around the net and found the real reason for the dent is brake booster clearance.
So, will regular, short style aftermarket covers fit?
Some say yes, some say no. Some say the '68 booster is smaller and that GM kept the same valve covers anyway.
This is not a factory type resto. so, original covers are not necessary. We have the originals but, they are a little below par and also want to go diecast or, heavier steel. Tall style covers are not needed-this car does not have roller rockers.
So, what are you guys using - do I need the dent or, not?
I have been going through this thing finding lost of loose fasteners etc. For example-when I removed the cover I found the #8 rocker arm loose/disengauged from the pushrod. That would have not been a good thing at all for start up! View attachment 35357 View attachment 35358
My '71 with its 454" has plenty of brake booster clearance with its un-beveled driver's side valve cover. I wonder if the beveled valve cover had other applications in which the bevel was needed (like in some truck applications or maybe some boat applications).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts