Chevy Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a classic 1961 Corvette. Bought at Xmas 2020 and sat in my garage all winter until just recently (I live in Wisconsin so long winters). After driving a few times in the Spring, after I get home and park in the garage and shut the door for the night, the next day the entire garage smells like gas. There is no gas dripping on the garage floor and the gas smell is there every morning day after day when I go into the garage (I also park my everyday car in the same garage but that's a newer car and definitely not the source of gas smell). I am really perplexed and cannot figure out what might be causing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thnx

Thnx

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new owner of a classic 1961 Corvette. Bought at Xmas 2020 and sat in my garage all winter until just recently (I live in Wisconsin so long winters). After driving a few times in the Spring, after I get home and park in the garage and shut the door for the night, the next day the entire garage smells like gas. There is no gas dripping on the garage floor and the gas smell is there every morning day after day when I go into the garage (I also park my everyday car in the same garage but that's a newer car and definitely not the source of gas smell). I am really perplexed and cannot figure out what might be causing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thnx
View attachment 35371

Thnx
I have a 68 Tri-Power. Had the same problem when I parked the Vette in the garage. Couldn’t find any gas leaks. Friend told me that a small amount of gas does remain in the carburetor/bowl. That’s what you are smelling.

My solution was to install an inexpensive sealing fan let it run for about 90 minutes with the garage door open

This may sound crazy but it solved my problem

Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
My '67's original carburetor has a vent on the top of the primary fuel bowl which open when the throttle pedal is at rest i.e. idling or engine off. The gas tank also has a vented gas cap so both of those things will allow for the gas to vent so you can get some gas smell from that. If there's a lot of gas smell (with no external leaks), you could have a carburetor issue. I'm not familiar with '61's (BTW ... yours is beautiful), but carbs can develop internal leaks and if you have that, fuel will be dripping down into the intake manifold and that will create a lot more smell. You would also possibly have some other issues i.e. the exhaust stinking when the car idles due to a overy rich mixture at idle, you might also smell fuel on the end of the oil dipstick when you check your oil. Another issue which I had was after my car sat for 5 or 6 days without being started ... it didn't want to start up right away as all the fuel had drained out of the primary fuel bowl and it took maybe 10 seconds of cranking the starter for the fuel pump to fill the primary fuel bowl back up. Hope some of this helps you to figure things out. John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 68 Tri-Power. Had the same problem when I parked the Vette in the garage. Couldn’t find any gas leaks. Friend told me that a small amount of gas does remain in the carburetor/bowl. That’s what you are smelling.

My solution was to install an inexpensive sealing fan let it run for about 90 minutes with the garage door open

This may sound crazy but it solved my problem

Good Luck
Thnx for suggestion. Hope to find a permanent solution but at least that idea is a back up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My '67's original carburetor has a vent on the top of the primary fuel bowl which open when the throttle pedal is at rest i.e. idling or engine off. The gas tank also has a vented gas cap so both of those things will allow for the gas to vent so you can get some gas smell from that. If there's a lot of gas smell (with no external leaks), you could have a carburetor issue. I'm not familiar with '61's (BTW ... yours is beautiful), but carbs can develop internal leaks and if you have that, fuel will be dripping down into the intake manifold and that will create a lot more smell. You would also possibly have some other issues i.e. the exhaust stinking when the car idles due to a overy rich mixture at idle, you might also smell fuel on the end of the oil dipstick when you check your oil. Another issue which I had was after my car sat for 5 or 6 days without being started ... it didn't want to start up right away as all the fuel had drained out of the primary fuel bowl and it took maybe 10 seconds of cranking the starter for the fuel pump to fill the primary fuel bowl back up. Hope some of this helps you to figure things out. John
Good stuff thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts