Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just signed up here. I have a 3 car garage and found some 12" ceramic tiles I really like and would like to see how these would hold up on the garage floor it self.

Has anyone put ceramic tiles on your garage floor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that they would hold up great as long as the floor is nice and level and there is no air pockets underneath the tile.
That is what I was thinking, my floor has no cracks or anything that might give problems. Wasn't sure though of the weight of the cars or turning the wheels on the tiles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds slippery to me and you have to consider the stains you are bound to have in the grout. Probably need to use a dark colored grout.

Personally, I would go with racedeck or swisstrax tiles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to build a new house soon and I plan to use 18" floor tiles on the garage floor. I've seen many houses in this area with tile on the garage floors for years with no cracking or loosening.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A good friend of mine owns a tile company. He has his whole 8 car garage tiled. It looks great and has held up good. I've been thinking about doing my garages.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I good friend of mine owns a tile company. He has his whole 8 car garage tiled. It looks great and has held up good. I've been thinking about doing my garages.
8 car garage? :drool5: What kind of toys are parked in that garage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tile Floor

Definately make sure the floor is level. Need to use small grout joints, dark in color and either seal the joints or use an epoxy grout. Epoxy grout will help to resist the stain, but it can be hard to work with if you have not used it before.

Last, check with the tile manufacture as far as the ability of the tile to hold up under the car weight.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Weather is a factor

Hi everyone. I just signed up here. I have a 3 car garage and found some 12" ceramic tiles I really like and would like to see how these would hold up on the garage floor it self.

Has anyone put ceramic tiles on your garage floor?
Tile doesn't like cold weather. In Florida it would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
While I think the tile would hold up well under weight, ceramic will chip. Don't be dropping any tools!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd want to use porcelain tile if you expect to drop tools or use jack stands, ceramic will chip easily. I believe weld splatter will damage any tile.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
8 car garage? :drool5: What kind of toys are parked in that garage?
Mostly Porsches! He does have an 89 vette. His 8-car garage also has a double lift. He keeps 10 cars in it. He also has a 2nd 3-car garage with a single lift.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Mostly Porsches! He does have an 89 vette. His 8-car garage also has a double lift. He keeps 10 cars in it. He also has a 2nd 3-car garage with a single lift.
Nice collection to have :burnout:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like the idea of the ceramic tiles but think the Swiss Trax stuff would work out better in long haul.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did some electrical work in a Mercedes dealership a few years back..The whole service bay area was dark brown Quarry tile. It was cleaned each night after heavy used during business hours There were no issues and was holding up well.

I asked the owner about the tile floor and he said most car dealerships in Europe had the tile floors.

His was to represent the same thing. Looked very nice and blended in well with the high standard of service he afforded his customers.

I would say go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts